Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP Pro file sharing question

hi guys,
    I've having little issue with file sharing between my two Windows XP computers. Much research has been done but no answer is found.

I have two comps:
    + A Desktop with Windows XP Pro SP2: 1x160HDD partitioned into some FAT32 and NTFS partitions. 2x80 HDDs in RAID-1 mode and NTFS
    + A laptop with Windows XP Pro SP1: 1xHDD with two partitions both in NTFS.

Accessing to whichever shared folder on the Desktop is fine without any trouble. But accessing to all shared folders on the Laptop always requires to enter username and passowd (which is the user account and its associated password on the laptop) ???

Simple File Sharing is Disabled on both computer.

Any idea why?

Thanks a lot in advance.
    MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
    AMD Athlon 64 3200
    1024 MB PC3200 RAM
    WD 160 GB HDD
    2 x 80 GB Maxtor HDDs in RAID 1
    ATI 9500 64 Videocard
    Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
    Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM
    Windows XP Professional SP2

you need to have the guest account enabled on the laptop, as well as give it rights to access through the network (you can set the last option in the local security policy).

Comment

Or alternatively if you don't like guest accounts you have to have same account names and passwords for all accounts and they must have NTFS permissions to access folders. The accounts need not have same rights, IE User1 can be admin on Desktop and user on Laptop and he can still access files.

IE:
      Desktop
      User1, "password1"
      User2, "password2"

Laptop
      User1, "password1"
      User2, "password2"

Now both users can access shares on each box.

In some cases a firewall needs to be set so that it allows for remote connections from local LAN (achieved by setting up trusted network and more permissions).

This is how I have things set up.
      Last edited by UtwigMU; 6 February 2005, 02:34.

Comment

dZeus,
        Problem's solved! In fact I've cofigured so that user name and password are always required when accessing to both machines. Thank you very much for the guide.

UtwigMU,
        Thanks for the suggestion. I will play with it later. Now 4:43 AM here and need some sleep.
        MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
        AMD Athlon 64 3200
        1024 MB PC3200 RAM
        WD 160 GB HDD
        2 x 80 GB Maxtor HDDs in RAID 1
        ATI 9500 64 Videocard
        Pioneer 108 DVD-RW
        Pioneer 117 DVD-ROM
        Windows XP Professional SP2

Comment

Working...
        X