New cpu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New cpu

So my brother's P4C800deluxe had to be RMA'd (can't remember what died on it), so in the meantime he just bought a new mobo and said he will just GIVE me the P4C when it comes back from Asus. So now I figure I'll get a new cpu to go with it

It'll have to be socket478 and I don't want to spend too much (definitly not more than 300 CAD). I'm open to all suggestions.

I do have watercooling so heat from a prescott isnt too much of an issue (other than it heating up capicitors on the motherboard and such).
    Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)
    Laptop: MSI Wind - Black

Driven by innovation & committed to quality, ASUS has a wide selection of best in class products. Find & buy a laptop, phone, router, monitor, motherboard & more

Here's CPU support list. Note that Northwood is clock for clock faster than Prescott in most cases.

So look for 800MHz FSB Northwood or Prescott if you can't find Northwood.

Comment

Well, here's how it breaks down;
      -prescotts are cheaper per mhz
      -prescotts run hotter
      -2.4 prescott at 533fsb is very cheap and is a monster overclocker (even better than the 2.4C), but it doesn't have HT.
      -I am definitly overclocking, and would like to get 3.5ghz+
      -the 3.0C and 3.2C's are quite expensive (C is northwood, E is prescott) but will not overheat the motherboard and its components as much as a 3.0E or 3.2E (which are cheaper)

So I would like to stay away from a prescott, yes, but they are good overclockers and are so damn cheap - its tempting

The decision is driving me mad

edit: just looked at prices some more, the 3.2C seems too expensive.
      Here are some of the prices:
      2.4E 533fsb - $180
      2.8E HT 800fsb - (didnt have price at either of local stores ~225?)
      3.0E HT 800fsb - $245
      3.2E HT 800fsb - $286 (probably outta my range)
      2.8C HT 800fsb - $275
      3.0C HT 800fsb - (didnt have price ~300?)
      3.2C HT 800fsb - $325 (out of range)

I'm thinking either 2.4E (excellent price, excellent OC) or 3.0E (good price, and has HT), unless you guys VERY STRONGLY suggest I don't go with a prescott.
      Last edited by Mehen; 6 February 2005, 01:34.
      Q9450 + TRUE, G.Skill 2x2GB DDR2, GTX 560, ASUS X48, 1TB WD Black, Windows 7 64-bit, LG M2762D-PM 27" + 17" LG 1752TX, Corsair HX620, Antec P182, Logitech G5 (Blue)

Comment

I would suggest, if you can find one, to get a 3GHz Northwood which has 30 capacitors instead of the usual 12. These models tend to overclock better and at a low voltage.

Comment

I happen to have the 3.2 prescott. 10% overclock with standard Shuttle SFF cooling runs stable as hell (except I had the thing lock-up once). It runs CPDN all of the time and gets to 72C, with the fan at lowest setting. (think 2krpm with the ICE cooling system, some sort of heatpipe). I don't know, but with better cooling, and it can hardly get any worse than with me, it may have great potential. It also depends on what your gonna do with it. I am benefitted by either the 1Mb cache and/or the 800mhz fsb.

And as it's in the same room as the thermostat, I save on heating but suffer cold in the other parts of the house
          Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
          [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by Umfriend
            And as it's in the same room as the thermostat, I save on heating but suffer cold in the other parts of the house

Comment

well my current cpu usually sits around 27C, and gets to about 31ish when I'm gaming, so even if the new one gets about 50% hotter, it should still be good.

That 3.2prescott does look mighty tempting Umfriend

The ASUS RMA status site now says "SHIP" instead of "REPAIR," but no tracking number yet, but with a little luck, I should be getting the mobo in about a week. Then its time to get a cpu
              (Unless they ship back a note that says "you voided warranty! no mobo for you!" -but i dont think it was)

edit: oh yeah, and the 3.0C IS 300 bucks from where I can get it around here

Comment

mobo came in. Got the 3.0E
                Right now I'm running at 3.6ghz and I didn't have to raise the voltage. I could probably touch 4ghz, but I don't feel like playing with the voltage much yet.
                Running at 36C

Comment

Working...
                X