• Show
Clear All

• LotR gif - hilarious

ROFL
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

LOL!!
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Woe be the person who wanders into this thread on dial-up.

Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 5 February 2005, 02:31.

Comment

Wow. The giant eagle thing is so true. If Gandalf was supposed to have been so wise, how could he not have thought of that? LOL

Comment

Simply because he did not command the eagles. He could not.

Threads like these make me miss Gurm
            Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
            [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Plus it would have to br frodo on the eagle because Gandalf would be corrupted by the ring or something.

Comment

LOL
                According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

But he could have instructed the eagle to carry Frodo to Mt. Doom, had he had the power to command them eagles, which is what I think KVH meant.
                  Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                  [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Lol.

Neat Thread.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

I don't get it.
                      Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I think I remember it actually being mentioned now at the council or something.. Gandalf/Elrond said something about the eagles having their own purposes or somesuch and it was uncomfortably left at that (perhaps Tolkien realizing that he was perilously close to having no great epic to tell if they went any further with it.. lol)

I think the eagles were actually quasi-maia or something. If one of them had clutched the ring he might have become corrupted as well, so yes, one of them would have had to bear Frodo to Mount Doom. Of course, there were the nine ringwraiths mounted on wyverns to deal with.. which was possibly a result of Sauron worrying about the eagles somehow.

Comment

I can't remember the eag;es being mentioned at the council, nor would I know why they should be. They are the Maia's ar Valars' creatures, and they don't participate in this conflict (other than having sent Saruman et al).

Comment

Simply said, Tolkien "high quality realism" consist in having everything in the book act as he want, instead as it should act at least logical. Or fuzzy.

So the Eagles do whatever they want, listen to no one, and can't care less if the entire ME will be destroyed. Even if they live into it.

Until the end, when they misteriously decide to join the battle for whichever devious pourpouse other than making JRR happy...

(and ISDA is full of those kind of things...)
                            Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Drizzt, sorry, but you're at least partly wrong. The Eagles do not live in ME, they visit it sometimes. Whether they care or not is not known but the fact is they are the animals of far powerfull creatures who at least do not interfere in ME, they stopped doing that as of, uhm, the end of the first Era really. Have you read the Silmarilion?

They never do join the battle, they do not for instance take part in the battle for Gondor. All they do is spirit Gandalf away so he may be restored. Which is not that strange given that Gandalf is a servant of the same beings the Eagles serve.

What is ISDA? I only know that as the International Securities Dealers' Association, but something in the back of my mind tells me that is not what you're on about here?

Comment

Working...
                              X