Good free win2k server software?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good free win2k server software?

So I'm studying for my MCSE (passed the first test, 70-270) and working on 70-215 now. So I've converted my home server from 2k pro to 2k server. The problem is that AVG free doesn't work on it anymore, and I've found most of the antivirus software I'd use doesn't want to run on 2k server.

So the question starts out.. what's a good antivirus product for a server? Free or otherwise?

Which leads into a larger question. What are good free programs I should start playing with on this box too? The obvious first choice is Apache over IIS. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh and before I start hearing people say that I should have the server be linux or bsd. Please understand I'm doing this so I can learn Active Directory and study for an MCSE. I am also starting the study process for a Linux+ cert. It's a lot cheaper than the Redhat route ($750 for the RHCE which is a 6 hour test and most of that is hands on versus multiple choice), and right now I just need to improve my rather minimal nix skills.
    Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

If you are trying to get to grips with AD, then shouldn't you stick to IIS?
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Well yes of course, but I'm thinking long term here. I was using Apache as an example of quality free software. Besides I'm more likely to learn it's workings while playing with linux than while studying for my MCSE anyway. What I really need is a good antivirus prog that runs on server and won't kill me financially, I refuse to not have something on it.
      Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Check out Avast, but the free version won't run on servers either.

Otherwise, use some 30-day evaluation version.

Comment

F-Prot is cheap if you need a few copies - $50 for 10 copies per year.

If you only need one copy, it's $50 too, though

Comment

There's this, too:

Looking for free Open Source Antivirus for Windows? Download ClamWin Free Antivirus and get free virus scanning and free virus definition updates.

or this:

Both based on Clam AV for Linux.

Neither seems to offer realtime protection though, which is a shame

Comment

Working...
            X