Here I Go Again--Video Capture Rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here I Go Again--Video Capture Rates

I go through this same ridiculous routine every time I reinstall my OS. I'm still using a Marvel G400 with PD 5.41 and VT 1.52 on Windows 98SE because I've never been happy with the video capture quality or performance under Win2k or XP (sorry, Adis!) and this combination of PD and VT seems to work the best for me (and believe me when I say I've tried them all).

So I've got a fresh install with DX9 and Premiere 6 and Huff and the MV crack and DMA confirmed enabled on all drives and capture is fine in VT.

BUT my maximum capture rate is stuck at 1.930 MB/sec @ 704x480 and CD quality audio, and I KNOW I can get the capture rate above 3 MB/sec because I've done it. My problem is I can never remember exactly HOW I did it because each time I've achieved that data rate in the past it was largely by hit or miss fiddling with the quality settings.

HOW do I consistantly reach the 3MB/sec capture rate with VT 1.52???? (DON'T tell me it can't be done-I've done it! But HOW? #*%^@!!)

rig:
    MB=MSI 745 Ultra
    RAM=512 MB
    CPU=AthlonXP 2100
    HDD1=Maxtor 30 GB
    HDD2=Seagate 200GB
    VID=Matrox Marvel G400
    SND=TBSC
    DVDRW=Pioneer DVR-108

Also using the same Win9x tweaks I always use from the old Videoguys website.

Help!

Kevin

Hi,
    have you run Matrox's hard disk benchmark which after running sets the max bitrate depending on the h.d results?
    mits,
    System specs: primary : Asus P5B Dlx/Wifi, C2Duo E6600 with thermalright 120 and 120mm Scythe S-Flex
    model E, 2 Gb Ram Kingston HyperX PC6400, MSI RX1950Pro with ViVo, 2 * WD3200AAKS, Sound Blaster Audigy ES, NIC onborad, IEE1394 TI onboard, dvd-rw Nec/Sony Optiarc AD-7173A, dvd-rom Pioneer 106-s, Win XP SP2. Secondary : Asus P4B266-E, P4 2GHz (Northwood), ram 512 MB DDR400 , 2*80 Maxtor, vga asus 9600XT with vivo, sound card c-media 8738 onboard, NIC D-Link 538TX, dvd-rw sony dru500AX, cd-rw yamaha 2100E, Win2k SP4.

Comment

Yeah, benchmarked the drives at first capture and no go. Now, THREE reboots later, it's back. Go figure.

Just keeps things interesting.

Kevin

Comment

Are you trying to capture Huff or plain old Matrox MJPEG?
        -Off the beaten path I reign-

At Home:

Asus P4P800-E Deluxe / P4-E 3.0Ghz
        2 GB PC3200 DDR RAM
        Matrox Parhelia 128
        Terratec Cynergy 600 TV/Radio
        Maxtor 80GB OS and Apps
        Maxtor 300 GB for video
        Plextor PX-755a DVD-R/W DL
        Win XP Pro

At work:
        Avid Newscutter Adrenaline.
        Avid Unity Media Network.

Comment

Sorry I can't help with your immediate problem, long since got rid of my Matrox (actually it's in the loft "just in case"), now that I have a Digital Mini-DV camcorder with AV->DV converter.

One thing I would suggest is...

Once you remember how you get it working, write it down, do a clean install of Windows with just the Matrox drivers and then do a partition image and write it to a CD. Then when you need to reinstall Windows you can restore from the CD. I use a program called BING (www.bootitng.com), but you could just as easily use another partition manager.

That's what I did.

Comment

I'm sorry if this is overly obvious but there are two sliders in VCR-Remote's settings that you need to crank up to get best quality (3mb/s). One is directly under the "Recording" tab, the other is accessible by clicking on the "Capture Options" button in the same dialog window.
            Intel TuC3 1.4 | 512MB SDRAM | AOpen AX6BC BX/ZX440 | Matrox Marvel G200 | SoundBlaster Live! Value | 12G/40G | Pioneer DVR-108 | 2 x 17" CRTs

Comment

Working...
            X