Eizo L568 or...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eizo L568 or...?

I might just be in the market for a new monitor, and I've thought about the Eizo L568, but I have a few questions (and am still open to good alternatives of course):

Is this display usable for gaming (FPS among others)?

Is the Pivot feature useful? (can I even use it with my GF4Ti4200-8x's DVI out?) I'm asking because I could get the L568AS for the same price, this has a different stand that allows it to slide down and look upwards, kinda like a book, but doesn't allow pivoting.

Finally, are there any alternatives I should seriously look into? Most important for me are:

Absolute image stability over DVI
    Image quality (vibrant, correct colors etc.)
    Suitability for gaming
    Price, of course

I wouldn't mind a bigger display, too, though this is not necessary. But just because it might come into question (I doubt it though), does anyone have any experience with the L768?

Thank you very much

VJ, you may now start with the bragging

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

25ms response time... and thats listed as typical. Way too slow for anything with fast motion. You should be able to find 17" glass under 20ms without too much trouble. Just a personal opinion here, but I still think that Eizo monitors are overpriced.

The pivot feature is only useful if your graphics card supports a rotation function. I know the ATI cards do and the nVidia Quadros, but I'm not sure about the one you have. It would be in buried the driver advanced control/settings area.

Comment

And I guess the software pivot would make everything slow as hell...

I don't think 410 EUR is overpriced for a good screen with 5 years pick-up-at-my-home warranty (including a loaner. the warranty includes the backlight here), but I haven't really followed prices lately, maybe other brands are that much cheaper.

AZ

Comment

Well other option is picking up a pair of used 21" IBM or such (there's such deal here) trinitrons for 110 € each and pull a wait and see on LCD (prices).

If you have the desk for it it's worth considering.
        Last edited by UtwigMU; 1 February 2005, 21:13.

Comment

I barely have the desk space for my 17" CRT...

AZ

Comment

Oh hrm yeah being in Germany limits how many monitor brands you have access too. Can you buy any of the LG Flatron 17" models? Most of them are 12-16ms response and some let you rotate the displace if you wanted to.

Comment

I think I can buy most major Brands you can (Eizo, Iiyama, Samsung, LG/Philips, Siemens, Acer/Benq, Dell, Sony, NEC/Mitsubishi, Viewsonic...), Germany is quite an important market.

I don't need pivot functionality.

I want the best picture quality, good colors, stability (no flicker, good viewing angles), good contrast, low blacklevel.

I play FPS games occasionally, I have no idea how bad the "smearing" of slow LCDs is in practice.

I would absolutely hate hearing the inverter buzz/whine.

I want DVI in.

That's pretty much it.

Oh, and I would rather get a gray bezel than a black one (though this is of course not the most important criterion).

AZ

Comment

Viewsonic VP171b ?
                Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

It has a TN panel, poor viewing angles and poor colors, and it's black or silver

AZ

Comment

LG L173ST. Its a multifunction monitor however so it probably costs more, but its quite bright and has decent contrast ratio.

The issue with 17" glass is that almost all of it is TN, so you get the nasty color inversion at off angles unless you buy a monitor that uses glass made for TVs.

Comment

I just upgraded in my mind to a 19", so I'm now looking for 19" suggestions

AZ

Comment

LG1980U if its not too expensive there. It was reently released so I'm not sure where all its available yet. Its got some really cool features like a buttonless OSD manager.

Comment

I suppose this also means I can only use it in windows?

AZ

Comment

Never mind, it isn't available here yet anyway.

AZ

Comment

Oh hmm.. good point. Not sure what the OS support is. I have a couple on order to test out at work.

I know some of the Samsung monitors uses their really good 19" glass, and they do some special driving manipulation to get the response rate down. They showed one with around 8ms response at CES, but I don't know if thats available yet either... think its the 915n. Their website is crapping out so I can't check.

Comment

Working...
                              X