Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cholesterol/liver problems? Please explain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cholesterol/liver problems? Please explain.

My Dad is reasonably in shape for a 56 year old, maybe a stone overweight. He has recently diagnosed high cholesterol, which has apparently recently increased again to 7.2, despite a very good diet including a number of cholesterol-reducing products such as spreads, yoghurts etc.

Now they say they want to do some sort of Liver test.

My questions:

1) what is the measurement error? Could it be affected by time of day etc?

2) What is the relationship with the liver, and is this something to worry about? Dad is worried, esp. given our poor family history (his dad died unexpectedly of a heart attack at 58).

TIA

T.
    FT.

A lot of food additives affect the liver, particularly high fructose corn syrup, which gets put into damn near everything over here because it is cheaper to use than regular sugar. It goes directly to the liver where it is turned into fat. The increase in the incidence of obesity in America directly correlates to the increased use of hfcs in foods here, particularly in soft drinks.

Comment

Cholesterol is a waxy fat that is present in all human beings. Two sources contribute to the amount of cholesterol in the human body. First, the liver manufactures about 80 percent of it. Second, people consume it by eating animal products such as meat, eggs and dairy products. Cholesterol is carried through the bloodstream by certain proteins (apolipoproteins). When these proteins wrap around cholesterol and other types of fats (lipids) to transport them through the bloodstream, the resulting “packages” are called lipoproteins. There are four different types of lipoproteins that carry cholesterol through the bloodstream:

Hyperlipidemia (or High Cholesterol): An often-inherited condition in which there is a high level of lipids (e.g., cholesterol and triglycerides) in the blood.
      * High-density lipoproteins (HDL), which are associated with “good” cholesterol.

* Low-density lipoproteins (LDL), which are associated with “bad” cholesterol.

* Very-low-density lipoproteins (VLDL), which are associated with "very bad" cholesterol.

* Chylomicrons, which only carry a small percentage of cholesterol. Chylomicrons are mostly rich in another type of fat (lipid) called triglycerides.

High levels of LDL cholesterol have been associated with hardened arteries (atherosclerosis) and coronary artery disease. In contrast, high levels of HDL cholesterol have been shown to reduce some of the harmful effects of LDL cholesterol. The National Cholesterol Education Program classifies cholesterol levels as follows (all measurements are in milligrams per deciliter):

* Total cholesterol levels less than 200 are desirable.

* Total cholesterol levels between 200 and 239 are borderline-high.

* Total cholesterol levels that are 240 or higher are high.

* HDL levels should be 40 or above (the American College of Cardiology recommends levels of 45 or above for women; see Cholesterol and Women).

* LDL levels should optimally be less than 100 (levels greater than 129 are considered borderline-high, and levels greater than 159 are considered high).

For related information on improving the ratio between HDL and LDL cholesterol, see Increasing HDL Cholesterol and Lowering LDL Cholesterol. For more information on triglycerides, see Triglycerides.

Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Fattone,

They are doing a detailed diagnosis, which is good. Any words you here from us in the group will just increase your worrying.
        Wait to hear what the consultant has to say. They know best.

Give your father our best wishes. Breezer
        Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

Yeah...don't take the Dr.'s asking for liver tests too hard. They are pretty much routine, especially if one is >50 and/or has been taking Tylenol, Motrin and many other over the counter or prescription drugs on a regular basis. Tylenol in particular can be hard on the liver, and even toxic in comparatively small multiples of the theraputic dose.

Dr. Mordrid
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Not to mention ethanol, which is found in many beverages obtainable in many pubs, bistrots, restaurants, watering holes and shops (except in Saudi Arabia and a few other countries).

Comment

Thanks for the info/advice. My Dad's level in mg/dL works out ~280, to put it in context with the above figures.
              FT.

Comment

My HDL is 60-ish and my LDL hangs around 40-ish for a total average cholesterol of 100 or so. Last year one of my checkups showed 60/27 a total of 87

Not bad considering I'm 56, 6' 1" and a muscular 300+ lbs. My Dr. hates me since he has trouble staying under 200 himself.

Gotta love our families liver enzymes

Dr. Mordrid
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 2 February 2005, 10:37.
                Dr. Mordrid
                ----------------------------
                An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

We must use a different reference range here. '5' being the upper level of normal (although I can't remember the units )

Although, as DM has pointed out, its the ratio of HDL to LDL that matters.

Familial hyperlipidaemias are reasonably uncommon, especially with a cholesterol of 7 so it is most probably a combination of dietary and lifestyle factors. Has he ever had it measured before?

If my cholesterol was that high, I'd want to be on a statin. GPs are getting notoriously stringy!

As far as the liver test is concerned, I'm sure its routine
                  The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Has you dad tried Metamucil (sp?) . Basically, it is soluble fiber in a convenient powder with some flavors. Not bad actually, and it has been shown to have some success lowering cholesterol.

Comment

These soluble fibres are terrible. They may be useful as a one-off treatment for an acute constipation but they are dangerous for chronic conditions because they cause weakness of the natural peristalsis after a few weeks. This can result in chronic constipation (especially if you stop taking them) which some say may be a fore-runner of cancer of the colon.

I had a friend/business colleague whose lifestyle was all wrong (irregular meals, sometimes liquid, unbalanced diet). He suffered, of course, from chronic constipation and, rather than treat it by eating regular, balanced meals, he self-treated it by increasingly large amounts of these synthetic soluble fibres. He developed a tumour in the bowel which he thought was only a further symptom of his constipation, until he metastatised, initially to the liver and later elsewhere. He died five years ago

To be used only on prescription for short periods IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                        Familial hyperlipidaemias are reasonably uncommon, especially with a cholesterol of 7 so it is most probably a combination of dietary and lifestyle factors. Has he ever had it measured before?

Not measured before afaik. I think he is pretty fit for 56, although he is far less active than he was since breaking his knee 2.5 years ago. He has always had a good diet, perhaps more than 24 units of alchohol per week though. Since getting the initial high number he has been really good with his diet/drink, but it still goes up!

As far as the liver test is concerned, I'm sure its routine
                        Ta
                        FT.

Comment

is it too late to insert a disclaimer?
                          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Working...
                          X