Free tax filing for Federal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free tax filing for Federal

Just thought I'd let you know that http://www.irs.gov is offering free federal tax filing right now. Not sure how long it is going to last. There are several places to choose from, so you can use your favorite online service.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

TaxCut, Turbotax etc. aren't going to like this one bit

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Tubrotax is on there! Not sure about the other one. There is like 15 to choose from.
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
        TaxCut, Turbotax etc. aren't going to like this one bit

Dr. Mordrid
        Actually, they like it just fine. It's free to use them if your income/filing is low/simple enough.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Shop around in the list.
          They are each aiming at different markets.
          It is possible to get free service from one of them almost no matter what your situation.

We tried Turbotax a long time ago and hated it.
          We have used TaxAct (one on the list) for the last couple of years.
          It is very easy and much superior to the old stand alone tax programs.
          They (and I would guess all of them now) are very complete.
          We are pretty sure we will be able to use them again this year even though we will be filing for the adoption tax credit, which is about as obscure as it gets in the personal income tax world.
          Even when it's not free it's only $10. (plus another $10 for your State return)
          chuck
          Chuck
          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
            Shop around in the list.
            They are each aiming at different markets.
            It is possible to get free service from one of them almost no matter what your situation.

We tried Turbotax a long time ago and hated it.
            We have used TaxAct (one on the list) for the last couple of years.
            It is very easy and much superior to the old stand alone tax programs.
            [snip]
            chuck
            Hmmm. I've been using TurboTaxWeb for several years, and it has seemed fine to me (complete with multiple S-corp K1 forms, many W-2's student loan interest things, self-employed health insurance, etc. etc.)

I'm looking at the TaxAct web site, and I'm intrigued by the idea of using their service for my S-corp return as well. The $44 cost sure beats the $1200 my accountant charges )

Do you know any place that has comparisons of the quality of the return / number of forms supplied, etc.? (I don't care about ease of use and graphics and crap - I'm after the results)

Thanks
            - Steve

Comment

Originally posted by spadnos
              Hmmm. I've been using TurboTaxWeb for several years, and it has seemed fine to me...
              I meant pre www Turbotax.
              A LONG time ago.
              I don't know anything about what it's like now.

Originally posted by spadnos
              Do you know any place that has comparisons of the quality of the return / number of forms supplied, etc.?...
              I wish I did.
              That would be a usefull site.

chuck
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Working...
              X