Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone running mobile Bartons on MPX out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone running mobile Bartons on MPX out there?

Hello:

I got my TigerMPX (4M bartons supporting model) back from RMA (the ATX connector melted).

I have 2 Athlon 2500+ XP -> MP modded CPUs which were run at 2.26@1.85V via pinhack. They are/were cooled by pair of Thermalright SK7's and Zalman F1 80mm fans @ 3000 RPM.

As I was testing the board I noticed L5 MP mod of one of the CPUs became undone (most likely, visually they look the same, however 1 of CPU is detected as AthlonXP instead of MP by the board and it won't boot in multiprocessor mode):

2 Athlon(tm) MP Processors 1800+ (Right now I'm not toying with multipliers, untill I get MP thing working, so it's 11x133 = 1.467 probably 1800+ due to them being Bartons instead of Tbreds/Palominos)

WARNING Your processors are not multiprocessor capable, board will boot in singleprocessor mode.

I have following options:
    - bother friend to redo L5 mod (he did it the first time)
    - buy 2 mobile 2500+ or 2600+ Athlons, which come with last L5 bridge uncut which means MP (or so I read). Since I'm strung for cash right now this would be a bit risky as I'd have to sell the pair of CPUs I have now and buy new pair of CPUs in fairly short period, hoping they don't run out of stock locally (Newegg, USA is not an option, Europe, Pond, yadda yadda). Appart from risk of selling CPUs and running out of new ones (I'll call dealers arround Monday, this would be beneficial as mobile CPUs would most likely run cooler (I project 2.26GHz @ 1.7-1.75V) - the previous setup was borderline stable with mid 50's, going to low 60's with clogged case and hot weather and would not require L5 mod, only pin hack for multiplier and voltage. The price difference between what 2nd hand 2500+'s are going for and new 2500+ mobiles cost is about 42 €/ 55$ for a pair of CPUs.

So I'm calling on all MPX mobile Barton users to share their experience.

Mainly are the bridges intact?
    Did you require any L5 modification for CPUs to work with your board?
    Which board/BIOS do you have?
    Any Tyan TigerMPX happy campers?

I've not tried, but I am selling my A7M266-D on ebay right now if anyone's interested (sorry )
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I have a MSI Master K7D with 2 2500 xp-m running at 2500mhz. just pencil moded the MP brigde. Works like a dream.

And yes as soon as I get myself back to hungary I will start chrunching on Climateprediction..

JD
      Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus.

Comment

Originally posted by James_D
        I have a MSI Master K7D with 2 2500 xp-m running at 2500mhz.
        What BIOS version are you running?
        When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I am using 1.91
          But have also moded both processors to get above the limit of the motherboard.
          here are two threads that are quiet nice on the k7d subject.

Hello, been out of the loop for a while & since the search won't work for words less than 4 letters, I couldn't find what I wanted to know too well. 2 main questions here: 1) What's the highest multiplier you can hard-code these CPU's in this mobo using the pin trick? In other words, does...

This is the forum version of an article published HERE. This thread is slightly more updated than the published article. Step-by-Step: How to Build a Cheap and Quiet AMD Dually. This article is the first in a three part series on quiet computing. This installment is an attempt at...

JD

Comment

Cheers for that

I'm running 1.82 as I heard the later version stopped you from running modded Applebred Duron's in a dual configuration
            When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Originally posted by James_D
              I have a MSI Master K7D with 2 2500 xp-m running at 2500mhz. just pencil moded the MP brigde. Works like a dream.

And yes as soon as I get myself back to hungary I will start chrunching on Climateprediction..

JD
              Aren't mobiles supposed to come with last L5 bridge intact and no modding required.

Comment

Originally posted by UtwigMU
                Aren't mobiles supposed to come with last L5 bridge intact and no modding required.
                No you have to cut the third brigde to get em in mp mode, but i managed to cut the 4th so thats why i had to pencil mod them.
                at least my k7d wouldnt boot with 3rd l5 connected

JD
                Last edited by James_D; 30 January 2005, 06:45.

Comment

I read that Tyan works, only MSI doesn't like the mobile bridge.
                  Last edited by UtwigMU; 30 January 2005, 09:31.

Comment

Nice tips there, my K7d is the green ver 1. which so many people had problems with.

Just found a link with some VERY nice tweaks for the 762 chipset.
                    In this article we are going to look at improving the performance of the AMD's 760MP/MPX chipset which is designed for multi processor use. We have been digging into the white papers on this chipset over the past week to try and find out every last thing we could about this chipset and then figure...

JD

edit: update.
                    Last edited by James_D; 30 January 2005, 10:39.

Comment

I'm running 2x2500XP-m on a Gigabyte 7DPXDW-P. 17x138=2350Mhz@1.57V.
                      I modded sockets on the backside of the mobo.

Comment

I'm selling 2500+ Bartons and I'll upgrade to mobile CPUs.

Comment

Smart choice...
                          Although, it will set you back a few euros, temps in your case will be much lower, or you can overclock the bejeezus out of mobiles if your case is well ventilated...

Comment

Working...
                          X