I have the PIT Curse...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have the PIT Curse...

I put together a new system about two weeks ago, and to tell you the truth it was the worse PC building expernace I've ever had to date with all the shit thats gone wrong with it. Some of it was my fault...mostly not knowing that the the ASUS A8N-SLI has a 24 pin ATX input on the board instead of the typical 20 pin setup. So the 480W Thermaltake unit I got was a waste of money (anyone want it ?? LOL) and I had to goto Compu-rip you off for a new PS. I got a nice 600W Maddog Media PS that has removeble power connectiors so you just need to put in what you need and leave out the rest for future usage. So that problem was solved.

Prior to the Power supply issue, I went to install the X800 Pro I got for it...I'm getting ready to put it in and notice that its a ****ing AGP card!!! Needless to say I was pretty pissed about this, even more so then PS issue. I stewwed over it for a bit and said where the hell can I get a Video card thats PCIex? I checked the local mass retailors and they didnt have jackshit. Then I said wait a minute....I have a PCIex X800 XT in my Work PC . So got the system put together minus the video card and then ran into another problem...the PS I got didnt have PCIex power cord for it! UGH stopped again. I hopped online and google comes the rescue for me. I find an article on how to make a PCIex power adaptor out of an old ATX 20 pin motherboard connector. So while I was ganking the X800 XT out of work I cut off the power connector on an old ATX power supply I had. I got home, warmed up the ole soldering iron and made myself a PCIex connector.

I have everything good to go and I bring the machine up to my Loft and goto boot it...it doesnt want to do anything...I'm like wtf. Then I relize that the new case I have doesnt have a PC speaker in it! So I'm not getting any POST beeps to figure out what the hell it is. I had to pull the one of out of my old pc party since it was semi permiantly part of the Lian Li case I have. I get 3 beeps coming from the board and I'm like huh? So I start troubleshooting and find out that I had the memory in the wrong way...you have to put it in Slot a of group 1 and Slot A of group 2 in the DIMM set up to get Dual channel.

At this point in time the machine is working pretty good after the BIOS 1003 Final was released...fixing some irriating issues I had.

But the story doesnt end there. I send back the X800 to zipzoomfly via second day UPS for $32 bucks , since they are supposed to reinburst me for the costs. A week goes by and I don't get anything from them. I finally reach them on the phone and find out that the RMA I had was wrong (had a 0 left out of it) and they are supposed to send me a new card today...which is going to be pretty interesting since they dont have any PCIex X800 Pros in stock! UGGGGGGHHH!!!!!

So to make a long story short...my New Dell in work has a PCI G450 powering it LOL and I think I'm just going to throw the pro into the Work PC since I only have a 17inch LCD and it should be fine running games on that for its resolution, while the XT is a better choice for my 2000FP I have at home
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

You'll know whether you've got my curse or not when your replacement card doesn't work.

Looks like a classic case of rushing out buying new stuff without letting the bugs get ironed out first.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
    X