Microsoft at it again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft at it again

The retail prices of the stripped-down versions will be the same as that of their full Windows XP counterparts.
    So the Europeans will pay for WMP, whether they opt to have it or not.

A quoi ça sert?
    Brian (the devil incarnate)

Checkmate!

I can just see Bill Gates walking the MS campus and high fiving everyone he meets.

LOL!
    P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Originally posted by schmosef

Checkmate!

I can just see Bill Gates walking the MS campus and high fiving everyone he meets.

LOL!
      In this case, I don't blame him a bit.
      They asked for it and they got it.

@Brian: It could have been worse. MS could reasonably charged more for the "Reduced Media Edition" because of the cost of taking the stuff out.
      Chuck
      Chuck
      秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
        @Brian: It could have been worse. MS could reasonably charged more for the "Reduced Media Edition" because of the cost of taking the stuff out.
        Yep

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
          ... @Brian: It could have been worse. MS could reasonably charged more for the "Reduced Media Edition" because of the cost of taking the stuff out.
          Chuck
          Apparently there was 140 something files removed in order to rip out Windows Media.
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I just check the properties on the folder where Real player is installed and it has over 2000 files. And that total doesn't include whatever might have been installed to the windows/system32 folder.

140 for WMP isn't so bad.

Comment

Jesus.. I would rather pay for my media player and have it be a simple affair that just WORKS. RealPlayer itself has got to be the biggest adware out there.

Comment

I must be doing something wrong, my Realplayer folder only has 442 files, 31.2 megs and doesn't have any adware like behavior.

Comment

I'd guess that the Real Player folder has some cached data. My folder size is 66.9MB. I do recall recently uninstalling the version I had and installing the latest version from their website. And then not using it more than a handfull of times.

Does that mean their uninstaller doesn't clean up after itself properly too?

Comment

From what I've seen most uninstallers leave crap sitting around, I've gotten to the point that I always check afterwards and finish the job manualy.

Oh, and I'm not defending annoying software like RealPlayer, but I just don't get any "adware" like behavoir from it is all.

Comment

So microsoft are saying their media player is worthless?

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                        RealPlayer itself has got to be the biggest adware out there.
                        Have you tried RP10? They've removed all/most of that crap.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                          Have you tried RP10? They've removed all/most of that crap.
                          No, because the main adware that annoys me so much is their constant insistance that I upgrade to that day's new release.

Comment

I refuse to have Real spyware on any of my systems for 2 or 3 years now. It simply tries to take over the whole 'puter and sends my firewall crazy. If someone sends me an RM file, I just don't look at it, for my own peace of mind.

I'm not really keen on WMP either, but that's another story. It doesn't object if you deny the single port it seeks to open on the firewall.
                            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

There's no reason to ignore RM files. Go download "Real Alternative." It's quite good.
                              Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                              X