Hosting recommendation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hosting recommendation?

I've made a site for a jewelry shop and I need somewhere to host it...has any of you had a good experience with a certain company? I don't need much in terms of traffic and as for space, probably even 100MB should be enough since there are just some pictures of jewelry that would occupy any kind of space. I also don't need PHP, MySQL & stuff, but Frontpage Server Extensions would be nice. A domain name also needs to be purchased...

Thanks in advance for any advice

Oh, and obviously the company should accept credit card payments from outside the US...
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Well, Concord Hosting, which a few of us at MURC have used over the last year or so, has been horrible over the last few months (6 months maybe). In a few weeks, they will no longer get money from me. So, now you at least know one place NOT to check out.

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I can only agree with Dave, I am pulling out of Concord Hosting as soon as the term is over.. www.godaddy.com is now offering hosting with a similar package as concord for a few $ less... no idea if they make a good host, but they are a domain name registrar
      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

GoDaddy looks pretty good, a shame that they don't have FrontPage Server Extensions...though that's not really an absolute must.
        All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

GoDaddy was also the reason that MURC was down for a few days... not sure what Sasq has to say about that or not...

BEA Solutions impressed me for a personal website... not sure about what they are like now though...
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I'm rather fond, go figure, of the host I've been using for the past few years, DreamHost.

The features of even the lowest level plan are better than you can find at most other hosts, and the specs have been upgraded every year that I've been with them (sometimes more than once a year). Nevermind that support is generally pretty good... no, it's damn good.

If anyone ends up going with them, you could always put my nick in as the referrer <fib>not that I get any discounts on hosting or anything</fib>
            “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

DreamHost is pretty good for smaller stuff.
              The fault with the server was rather oddball and the real reason it took a while is it needed to be esculated up the foodchain.
              Basic story we are a 'virtual server' the PLESK control panel fubared the firewall settings, and the only way in was via the local consol. on a virtual server there is no 'local consol' as such.

So it took them a bit to crack it open and fix the firewall script - not the normal NOC grunt type fix.
              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

When I had virtual hosting I was with Prohosting.

Now on dedicated with netfire

never had any problems with either and in some cases support calls have been resolved in less then a hour, I thought that was great considering I am in the UK and they are in the US

Comment

I should make it clear, our current hosting enviroment means I have a root log in, 20gb of hdd space, and 3 dedicated IP addresses, with *unlimited* number of domains, email etc.

as opposed to a single web site with or without alias'd domain names
                  Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

If you want just a simple shared virtual server host, then Dreamhost or 1&1 will do.

Dreamhost is more US based, while 1&1 is an international host with web server sites all over the world. May be more what you're looking for... ?
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by lecter
                      GoDaddy looks pretty good, a shame that they don't have FrontPage Server Extensions...though that's not really an absolute must.
                      Each Plan Includes:

* Our world-class data centers
                      * FrontPage extensions
                      * 24x7 FTP access
                      * Best-of-breed routers, firewalls and servers
                      * Web site statistics
                      * Free setup!
                      * Daily Backups
                      * 24x7 monitoring
                      * 24x7 email, telephone, and Web-based tech support
                      * 24x7 physical security
                      We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

I'm also a happy Dreamhost user. The one time I had an issue, that ended up being because I didn't wait long enough for the settings to stick, I did email correspondance with them and it was quick and friendly. I think Wombat recommended them to me. For $20 a month you can get way more than you need, but I think it is a hell-of-a-deal.

My domains are registered through GoDaddy, never have used their hosting, but it seems to be a reliable company. Their basic packages are really cheap too.
                        Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                        Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Hey, I do hosting service!
                          Seriously!
                          Sat on a pile of deads, I enjoy my oysters.

Comment

Originally posted by TnT
                            I think Wombat recommended them to me. For $20 a month you can get way more than you need, but I think it is a hell-of-a-deal.
                            Then you should log in and tell them I'm the one that referred you I'll get a kickback, and it will cost you nothing.

Please
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Originally posted by Wombat
                              Then you should log in and tell them I'm the one that referred you I'll get a kickback, and it will cost you nothing.

Please
                              Sorry, man. I just checked and it's now too late to retroactively refer someone.
                              Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                              Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Working...
                              X