using command prompt to change to another drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• using command prompt to change to another drive

I am using xp and need to compile something on my G drive. I have 3 HDD's and a floppy drive in the system.
    when i open command prompt it defaults to the C drive, i want to change to the H drive so i may find my file and compile it, but trying cd G:\ it does not work. A drive (floppy) is accesible by using cd A:\.
    Anyone have any ideas how to do this.
    is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
    Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

G: <Enter>

Amazing we have come that far from DOS.
    chuck
    Last edited by cjolley; 25 January 2005, 07:52.
    Chuck
    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Originally posted by cjolley
      G:

Amazing we have come that far from DOS.
      chuck
      You forgot the "[ENTER]"

EDIT: You beat me to it
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
        You forgot the "[ENTER]"

EDIT: You beat me to it
        I put it in with "<" and ">" and it didn't show up.
        Then I couldn't remember the code for them.
        chuck
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

Re: using command prompt to change to another drive

Originally posted by borat
          but trying cd G:\ it does not work. A drive (floppy) is accesible by using cd A:\.
          hehe, nice error!
          What you do with cd g:\ is change the dirctory of g: to \, but you don't change the current directory (the one shown in the prompt) with it.

suppose you have a d:\temp

If you open a command window, you are in c:\> and if you type d: [enter] you'd see d:\>

Now if instead of entering d: you type "cd d:\temp", you would still see
          c:\>
          but when you enter d: now, you'd see
          d:\temp>

The system remembers the directory for each drive, the cd command changes the directory, but not the current one (i.e. the one you see in the prompt).

Jörg
          pixar
          Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

See colon ... See colon run.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

run dos run
              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Re: Re: using command prompt to change to another drive

Originally posted by VJ
                snip ...
                The system remembers the directory for each drive, the cd command changes the directory, but not the current one (i.e. the one you see in the prompt).

Jörg
                Unless you happen to be changing the directory on the current drive, in which case it does change the prompt. (ie, 'cd temp' while at C:\ will switch you to C:\temp)

- Steve

Comment

acctually, you can use CD to change drive letters too...

"cd /d G:\" would work.
                  "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                    run dos run
                    That's it ... that's what I used to say back when the PC first came out. I'd find myself going into the DOS directory all the time and I would think "See DOS" as I typed the path which of course led me to always think of "See DOS. See DOS run. Run DOS run." Kind of an annoying habit but it would run through my mind every time back then ... and even now on occasion.
                    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                      run dos run
                      dos isn't done
                      till lotus won't run
                      Alcohol and Drugs make life tolerable.

Comment

Man, I can remember the days when PC-compatibles where tested in magaiznes on whether they would run Lotus 1-2-3 or not......fart.
                        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

I still have a copy of Lotus 1-2-3 v. 1a somewhere here.... on a 5 1/4" floppy
                          DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

Hey; I had to install DOS 6.2 just after Christmas...
                            MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

Originally posted by GNEP
                              I still have a copy of Lotus 1-2-3 v. 1a somewhere here.... on a 5 1/4" floppy
                              Hell ... I've still got copies of CPM and such on 8" floppies. ... and don't even get me started talking about the CRAM deck I have. ... or how about the Star Trek game on paper tape from a Cyber machine. I've got so much useless junk lying around here ...

Comment

Working...
                              X