Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dv camera + ADVC100

Hello,

Perhaps a silly question, but when I want to capture from a DV camera (Sony) to PC (Firewire), which scenario is best? And why?

1. Connect DV camera directly to PC
    2. Connect DV camera to Canopus ADVC100
    3. Daisychain DV camera on a firewire harddisk

I'm guessing it will be either 2. or 1...

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

best for what? - been using your #2 for many months and cannot see any reason to change.
    Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by LvR
      best for what?
      Euhm, globally best: quality (no skips), software (if this were to make a difference), ...

Jörg
      pixar

Comment

The most secure would be 1. I have my DVCAM and ADVC-100 going into separate ports of the IEEE-1394 card and it works fine. To feed the cam through the ADVC would probably cause you some command problems, especially with a Sony, which may have unusual command sequences.

Brian
        Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Ah, thanks for the heads-up!

The camera is indeed a Sony. So I have added an additional cable to my order to allow me to connect it directly.

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
            The most secure would be 1. I have my DVCAM and ADVC-100 going into separate ports of the IEEE-1394 card and it works fine. To feed the cam through the ADVC would probably cause you some command problems, especially with a Sony, which may have unusual command sequences.

Brian
            Guess there must be situations and cams where it may be an issue, but I run a camcorder repair shop and all cams tested here I do via the ADVC100.

Have a DAC100 with the same setup too, and once the cam comes off the ADVC I hang it off the DAC100 just to confirm correct operation.

Normally testing with Scenalyser and Windows MovieMaker.........
            Lawrence

Comment

I first use scheme #2 for ease as the IEEE jack is at the rear of
              my pC so I have my TRV60 SONY ( Euro version of TRV70 ) linked to the ADVC100 .I use the capture tool of Main Concept MPEG Encoder which seems the simplest to use for me and I keep full
              control on tape transport !

Comment

Originally posted by LvR
                Guess there must be situations and cams where it may be an issue, but I run a camcorder repair shop and all cams tested here I do via the ADVC100.

Have a DAC100 with the same setup too, and once the cam comes off the ADVC I hang it off the DAC100 just to confirm correct operation.

Normally testing with Scenalyser and Windows MovieMaker.........
                The problems have been more with DV>camera than the other way round.

Sony use at least 3 different sets of commands from software to camera and it does really cause headaches. Anything interposed can upset the applecart. Canon also occasionally causes problems; they must have two command sets, at least. Unfortunately, nothing is standardised, so that each maker can do what he thinks best and this means that they jiggle things round to use their own software, while giving nothing away to other software authors.
                Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
                X