DV Camcorder Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DV Camcorder Question

I've searched all I can find on DV camcorder advise/opinions. Seems much of it is kind of old -- in video world terms at least.

I am going DV and trying to decide whether I should stick to unts that have analog in. Only have about a dozen Hi8 tapes, but also have some VHS I may want to convert.

Question is: does analog in and/or a dv bridge (such as Dazzle or Sony) really do anything for me that I can't achieve by capturing analog and outputting DV? Are their quality issues to consider?

Looking atlower priced Canons, Panasonics and JVCs (Sony doesn't really have a lower priced unit). Seems the JVCs can be had for a lot less, but none but the mondo units have analog in. Then there are the Samsung units, but I'm wary of compatibility on those.

Any consul or experience would help.

I recently purchased a low end Panasonic DV200 for the wife's use. It works fine, but of course doesn't have an analog in. The DV400 is more interesting if nightvision is your cup of tea.

If the absense of analog inputs is a disadvantage depends on your setup.

Cheap way out:

If you already have an analog card and install a decent IEEE-1394 device (ex: Marvel/RR-G + Pyro firewire card) then you can use both analog and digital inputs on the cheap. Add the MainConcept DV codec and you be happy.

Alternate way:

The DV.now.AV. This can capture both analog and digital in one card, but is rather spartan otherwise.

Very nice way:

RT-2000. It can accept both analog and digital inputs and capture either to DV or MPEG-2 from either. The butterzone, especially with Win2K and the 3.0 MEGA Pack drivers (public beta now, but very good).

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Thanks, Doc. So, you are saying that if I have a G400TV (got it) and a Pyro card (Pyro Pro on order), I really don't NEED analog in.

Would love to have RT2000, but can't afford both that and a DV cam. NAV.DV now was considered, but it supposed does not work well with Anthlon. Need to get the whole tamale for under $1,000. I've already spent $269 on the Pryo Pro, so that leaves me with the lower end cams I mentioned.

Comment

dv-bridge is a very good alternate!!

harry

Comment

It's a bit more work to capture YUY2/HuffYUV then encode it to DV for use with the Pyro captures, but it can be done on the cheap and you only have a few tapes to convert so.....

MainConcepts DV codec runs about $50 and the YUY2 patch & HuffYUV are freeware. That should get your analog footage into the system, and once you've done that you won't really need the analog in unless you want to digitize TV or VHS footage, right?

Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Analog in aside, I had been looking mostly at Panasonic when I saw a Best Buy add for what looks like a great new Sharp - 26x optical zoom, built in telescoping boom mike, and (it appears) analog in. The Best Buy near me hadn't received it yet (despite add) when I went in yesterday.

Anyone seen this unit? Can't find specs anywhere on the web, not even Sharp's website.

My Hi8 camera is a Sharp. (I know people tend to make fun of these cameras, but it has been a good unit for a beginner.), so I am well disposed to their product.

Comment

Working...
            X