Hard drive enclosures?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard drive enclosures?

I'm looking at HD enclosuers on Newegg for an extra 60GB HDD I have. Any have any of these or any suggestions?

Thanks

PS How well does ghost work with these drives?
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

I got one of these for my Dad, and it works very well:

It has no internal fan, but the casing acts somewhat like a heatsink. I like that fact that it works with both Firewire 800 and USB 2.0, so it will work with a wide variety of systems. I also got him a firewire 800 PCI card, which makes the drive run at almost IDE speeds.

The newer versions of Ghost have support for USB and Firewire devices. You just have to make a boot disc/CD with the appropriate drivers, or get a version of Ghost32.exe that you can run inside Windows XP/PE/2k3.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Jammrock
      It has no internal fan, but the casing acts somewhat like a heatsink. I like that fact that it works with both Firewire 800 and USB 2.0, so it will work with a wide variety of systems.
      Does that provide sufficiant cooling?

I'm looking at an external Lacie drive (big disk extreme), which holds 2 7200 rpm drives (raid 0), but has no active cooling... This cooling is about the only thing that worries me...

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

I have a Hotdrive enclosure for a laptop drive. The aluminum case cools pretty well. The case will get slightly warm and cool off very quickly when unplugged. The drive is only 5400RPM though.
        Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
        Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

There are all kinds of enclosures for HDDs ... everything from shirt pocket size USB 2.0 boxes for 2.5" drives (I have a fast 60 GB in one) to HTPC configured storage boxes for multiple HDDs (seen some very nice looking passive cooled units). What's your budget? What's your connectivity requirements? ... USB 2.0? FireWire 400 ... 800? I assume you're not using SCSI (most don't these days). Noise requirements (active or passive cooling is available)? Size/color requirements (important to me if I'm placing an enclosure on the coffe table or in the HT rack)?
          <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I got the unit Jammrock suggested. I just need an External HDD to back stuff up on or move around large files.
            Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
              I got the unit Jammrock suggested. I just need an External HDD to back stuff up on or move around large files.
              That's what I got the pocket size USB 2.0 box for. ... Teeny little thing that gets its power off the USB bus. I love it.
              <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Originally posted by xortam
                That's what I got the pocket size USB 2.0 box for. ... Teeny little thing that gets its power off the USB bus. I love it.
                If he didn't already have a drive I'd totally agree with you.. YOu can get a decent usb2 2.5" case for $20 and you just can't beat the size or that you don't have to plug it in.
                Wikipedia and Google.... the needles to my tangent habit.

That special feeling we get in the cockles of our hearts, Or maybe below the cockles, Maybe in the sub-cockle area, Maybe in the liver, Maybe in the kidneys, Maybe even in the colon, We don't know.

Comment

Working...
                X