Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strange problem with new RAM & Motherboard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange problem with new RAM & Motherboard.

Hi,

Recently put together a new computer for my neighbour. I am experiencing some problems with it and hope some of you have an idea.

The story is as follows:
    1) Put all together, PC start OK.
    2) Next day. PC dead.
    3) Take out RAM, insert again. PC OK.
    4) Some days later. PC dead.
    5) Same procedure fixes it.

The components are:
    AOpen AK79D-400VN
    AMD Sempron 2400+
    Apacer 512 MB PC3200 (one stick)
    ATI Radeon 9250

Have tried running the RAM at 266MHz but to no help. Thus I am not sure if the RAM is the culprit. Try different brand of RAM maybe? Which do you recommend?

All suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    Jan

Loose memory?

Reset BIOS to default or safe values if it has them.

Comment

I've tried that. Also tried the RAM in all 3 different banks.

Comment

Loose RAM connectors or cold solder joint; either way, it's a motherboard hardware defect, get it exchanged.

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Disregard my last post, didn't see your post before it. Have you tried different, known good RAM?

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Haven't tried different stick. Will try to get hold of one tomorrow.

Comment

I had somewhat similar problems with a new build with old case/psu.

Fiddling with things got it to boot.

Eventually it would maybe power on but then power off after 5 seconds.

Swapped PSU - job done

Old PSU had one of large caps blown - probably wasn't up to the larger power draw of the newer system.

Comment

I wouldn't suspect cold solder joints, it just doesn't sound right if it's failed and removing/inserting things quickly fixed it. I wonder if something is leaking, and there's capacitive build-up or something. Grounding? Touching the machine may be what's fixing it.

Are you sure you're running the RAM with enough/not too much voltage?
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Is your PS set to 120 V or 240 V. i had similar behavior a few years back and that ended up being the problem.

Comment

It turned out to be a loose screw behind the MB. You can say it had a screw loose . Hope it didn't do permanent damage...

Comment

Working...
                    X