16x the fastest DVD speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 16x the fastest DVD speed?

I was looking at various CES 2005 coverages and found this comment on AnadTech:
    Of course, if you hadn’t heard it from us before, let us be the first to tell you that 16X will definitely be the fastest single layer write speed possible. As media and drive manufacturers already start setting their eyes on BluRay and HD-DVDR, DVDR will only continue advancements in dual layer capability. Keep in mind that the physical limitation on hard drive read speed is what keeps DVD burners from writing faster than 16X – it’s going to take SATA-II or some other technology to keep up high sustainable IO transfers to redefine optical storage writes...
    Despite some misgivings for some Anandtech staff, it is an interesting comment. I guess CD burnign technology has been around for so long and DVD burning is still relatively new, that it never occured to me that people would stop advancing DVD burning technology. I guess that means BD-RW (Blu-ray Disc-ReWritable) will be hitting very soon.

In other news that I saw recently, there WILL be HD-DVD-ROM drives for computers. I guess with the HTPC craze the DVD Forum and HD-DVD consortium saw it as suicide not to make one (HD-DVD was originally not going to have any computer based drives).

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

@ 16X, the DVD is spinning at about 9120-25600 rpm, which I believe is the max you can get such disk to spin reliably. remember that 1X DVD is many times faster than 1X CD
    We have enough youth - What we need is a fountain of smart!

i7-920, 6GB DDR3-1600, HD4870X2, Dell 27" LCD

Comment

DVD player have been stuck with 16x reading for years. There is a reason for this, tjalfe is right about it, it's the high rpm.
      So burnign won't get any faster than 16x.
      System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

Beh...you can't find 16x DVD blanks anyway...

Comment

You don't really need to. Many 4x media can be burned at 8x. So when 8x media will be available you'll probably be able to burn them at 16x...
          System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

I WANT to burn at 16x!

The real fact is, we don't need a new standard because we're stuck at 16x. Since the 16x media is not available, it's more like we're actually stuck at 4x or 8x -so to improve speed we just need new media and not a new standard.

The GOOD reason why we need a new standard is because 4.7GB is getting small. I have 600+GB at home that I like to backup from time to time. I don't do it on DVD (or tape, I'm quite allergic to the buggers) because it's too small, I do it on more HDDs.

I could live with 50GB xxDVD though...

Comment

What we really need is some inexpensive several dozen GB+ solid state drives.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurt
                Beh...you can't find 16x DVD blanks anyway...
                hmm, wonder what I've been using then!

Comment

Originally posted by tjalfe
                  @ 16X, the DVD is spinning at about 9120-25600 rpm, which I believe is the max you can get such disk to spin reliably. remember that 1X DVD is many times faster than 1X CD
                  Actually, it's not that fast. 1X DVD spins at 580-1400 rpm, constant linear velocity. It only goes up to 1400 when writing the inside of the disc.

16X burners use either constant angular velocity or zone-CLV. The ones that use CAV rotate at a constant 9280rpm (580rpm * 16), with the data rate only getting to 16X on the very outside edge of the disc. The z-CLV drives continuously vary their speed, depending where on the disc they're burning. I think the highest rpm they get to (on the outside zone on the disc) maxes out just over 10k rpm (close to the same as a 52X CD-RW). Even high quality undamaged DVDs and CDs explode somewhere between 20k and 30k rpm, so there's no way the drives would approach that speed.
                  Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I was at CES and I didn't see anything faster than 16X. As mentioned, the new technology developments are being pushed at improving dual layer burning.

Off topic a little, but I found it kind of funny to see the BlueRay consortium booth close to the HD DVD consortium booth and both had big banners claiming their technology as the next DVD standard.

Comment

yup as mentioned in this thread it sounds much more likely that physical limitations are the bottleneck for higher DVD speeds rather than the protocol used to address the writer. 16x DVD would be about 21 MBps, so even ATA-33 could do that. ATA-66 would easily allow for higher than 16x speeds, and the SATA-II need Anandtech claims, confirms just about any prejudice I have against them

Comment

Working...
                      X