Plextor PX-716SA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plextor PX-716SA

Any news on when Plextor will be releasing this drive?
    I dont know if i should buy a go for the 712SA or go for dual layer (but no media, and IDE) 716A...

Any thoughts? or am i just gonna waste £70
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

check to see if your m/board is supported first!

Comment

cheers for the heads up Ayoub! I wouldn't have thought that there are compatibility problems. Why isn't one SATA controller the same as another?
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Marvell PATA-SATA converters don't talk ATAPI; which is required for optical drives, but not hard drives.
        MURC COC Minister of Wierd Confusion (MWC)

Comment

Re: Plextor PX-716SA

Originally posted by Paddy
          Any news on when Plextor will be releasing this drive?
          I dont know if i should buy a go for the 712SA or go for dual layer (but no media, and IDE) 716A...

Any thoughts? or am i just gonna waste £70
          The 716SA has been out for about a month now.

I own the 712SA and my motherboard is not on the supported list. This is the best drive I have ever owned. From the awesome Plextools software, to the durability, finesse, and quietness of the tray opening and closing. Not to mention that they give you a DVD removal tool. I coastered two DVD's, but that wsa because of my lack of knowledge of burners in general. Otherwise, every burn has been 100% successful. Don't take my word for it though, read the reviews.

Dave
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I have a PX-708A, and I've had good luck with it so far.

I've owned 5 Plextor drives and installed one at work, and all have performed pretty much flawlessly. I hope the mass marketeers of cheap crapola don't drive this one quality manufacturer out of business.

Comment

I have a SCSI PX1210S, but i want to move into the DVD arena. I have an asus A7N8X-E, but thinking about it, both my SATA channels are in use.

Is there any advantage going for the SATA version of the 716?

Comment

Is there any advantage going for the SATA version of the 716?
                none

Comment

I've seen conflicting reviews of the PX-716 burner. Apparently the first revisions had issues, and I'm not sure if it was entirely solved in the latest firmware release.

Comment

There is really no point going for a SATA DVD burner at all.
                    If you go for standard IDE you can:

Get a drive for around £40 - £50
                    Definitely have no compatability issues
                    It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
                    Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

I'm just made £60 on ebay selling crap
                      now to buy the burner!

Comment

Originally posted by ayoub_ibrahim
                        none
                        There is one big advantage and that is the cable. I'd rather run SATA anyday just for this reason alone.

Also, it is much easier to configure in some cases.

Dave
                        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Paddy, my personal preference at this point in time is either a NEC 3500 or the newer 3520 model. Both models will cost you less than £50 which is a good deal cheaper than the Plextor.
                          Reviews of that Plextor model have not been flattering but things may change with improved firmware in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
                            There is one big advantage and that is the cable. I'd rather run SATA anyday just for this reason alone.

Also, it is much easier to configure in some cases.

Dave
                            I use a SATA-PATA converter within my removable HDD bay. The main attractive features of this particular docking bay is that it's chassis is aluminum and the employing of a SATA cable improves the airflow within my HTPC.
                            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Cheers Ayoub!

I'll have a look into it at work tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X