Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which router? (wireless)

Hi!

Which router with support for wireless should you buy? It has to be 54Mbit for wireless and it would also be nice with support for Gbit-lan.

Is 3com still a good brand or is netgear, d-link, linksys as good?

/Leo
    AMD Athlon64 X2 4200+
    Asus A8N-E
    Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2
    Asus Extreme GeForce N7800GT
    Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 250GB
    Lian-Li PC60
    Windows XP Pro 64bit

I have a netgear WGR614v4 thats pretty good.

I haven't seen any gigabit routers...yet.
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

i use a d-link g-xtreme - sorry forget the model number here, tis first one that did the dual 11g for 108Mbit.
      works a treat with my 100Mbit fiber.
      Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Only buy Linksys, they have been bought out by Cisco and you can't get anything better than that in terms of features and functionality.

Regards,
        Elie

Comment

My personal favorite is made by Buffalo Tech (same as the memory company).

Awesome 24/7 phone support and fantastic signal strength.
          Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

I just got a Linksys WRT54Gs. Nice little unit with 4 nic ports plus B/G wireless.
            beside if you buy Linksys you support MURCers (Helevitia works for Cisco)
            "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Hey Helevitia didn't know that??
              Which department? We at Bell deal strictly with Cisco in Canada!

Please let me know

Cheers,
              Elie

Comment

Thanks for the plug Paul

Elie, I directly support the Cat6K. My main focus in beta testing but I do work on the occassional escalated case when our group runs short of people. I also work on any customer type of issue. Basically, whatever it takes to make the customer happy Oh and thanks for the kind words, much appreciated!

Do you work in networking at Bell? Glad to hear that Cisco is a good word at your company. With Cisco getting so big, sometimes it is hard for people to see what really goes on behind the scenes. But I can assure you that Cisco bends over backwards for our customers. Sometimes so much, I wonder how much money we must have lost to make the customer happy.

And woel, I also own the Linksys WRT54G. It is really stable and I like the fact that it supports some limited filtering and access restrictions. My son knows when it is time to get off the computer because the internet stops working But don't take my word for it, read the reviews.
                Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I also have a WRT54G, and can vouch for the fact that it's an awesome little device. Way more stable than my old Netgear, and with the alternate firmwares it becomes a very powerful router.

Also, my bro works for Cisco Canada, and they're a great company.
                  Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Netgear seems to have it's share of problems lately.

Just check the broad band Forums. Linksys seems to have fewer issues than the Netgear routers.

ISP discussion forums, broadband news, information and community

Also my new Linksys survived all the modem problems I've been having lately. 2 Netgear routers died during the course of solving my problems.
                    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Linksys or D-Link - use 'em both here with no problems in various forms of router, modem, wireless access point etc...
                      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I had a Linksys AP that I had nothing but problems with connecting too. I replaced it with the Netgear Wifi/Router and haven't had a problem since
                        Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Another thumb up for the WRT54G.
                          chuck
                          Chuck
                          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Well, I do know of 2 linksys routers that died for no apparent reason after about 3 years, but I still swear by em.
                            currently have a WRT54G and a WRV54G.
                            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Working...
                            X