Big stores....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big stores....

A while back the subject of Walmart "taking over the world" came up. Here is why it's not happening in the Detroit area;

A local Meijers store:

The red arrows indicate the approximate size of the Walmarts built in our area.

This store actually extends another 10 meters to the right, but got cut off because of bad framing on my part.

While not all Meijers are this large, most are at least 2/3's this size with one about every 5-10 miles in our parts.

The cars in the foreground are at the extreme back of the parking lot, about 200+ meters from the front of the store.

I took this picture from 300+ meters away so it would fit into the frame.

Meijers is based in Grand Rapids, Michigan and are family owned and operated.

They too are a discount store, but often have better quality stuff than Walmart.

Their grocery department is great and includes a deli, fresh cut meats, a bakery (takes orders) and a cafeteria/grill (far left).

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 January 2005, 18:48.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

I hope they don't succumb to the evil Walmart.

Comment

When we were in Michigan in November we whipped our 2 year old son into a frenzy by shouting 'WALMART' every time we went past a store. He soon learned to shout 'WALMART' without prompting.

Back home in the uk we went into ASDA and he shouted 'WALMART' again, the Walmart logo is a watermark on some Asda advertising and he recognised it. Clever kid or clever advertising?

The 2 14 year olds traveling with us were also very impressed with the firearms section. We don't get this in Tescos.

Breezer
      Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

Dr M I cut and pasted Michigan as I still can't spell it.

Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

I will never forget the scene in some movie I saw long ago where some VERY serious transplanted Scot Canadian (in a kilt, no less) reads some official document out loud to a few people and pronounces "the state of Michigan" "the state of MICK HEEGAN." No one understands until some girl laughs and tells him "it's pronounced Mishigan" as his grim visage turns beet red.

It was amusing.

Comment

Hear that mistake all the time

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid
            ----------------------------
            An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Working...
            X