Animal visitation....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animal visitation....

Saturday night I went out on a milk run.

On my return and while unloading the car I noted the movement of a rather large object with the corner of my eye. My eye was drawn to the roof where I saw one of these;

This is known as a Bobcat (Lynx rufus). The "book" says the average bobcat runs about 25 lbs (~9kg), but large males can run 60-65 lbs (27-30 kg).

My guess is that the one I saw was a rather large male of about 45-50 lbs, which would make him about 4 feet long (1.2 meters).

BIG kitty cat

My guess is that he was trying to keep warm next to our chimney.

For about 15 seconds we just stared at each other, but once I moved he took off over the peak of the roof never to be seen again.

This morning the wife found some tracks in our front yard, and they definitely looked like bobcat tracks to me. Way too large for anything else.

There have also been sightings (including videotaped ones) of cougars in the outer Detroit suburbs, some within 10 miles of our house.

Just west of us in Belleville, MI a cougar sighting this past October was accompanied by tracks that indicated it being a 90-100 lb female.

Needless to say a lot of kids started riding the bus to school and outside recesses were suspended.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 January 2005, 22:44.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

My brother-in-law's brother-in-law has one of these. He lives in Montana where it's perfectly legal. On the rare occasion when he brings it to Bismarck, he has to be careful not to let the authorities see it, or it will be confiscated and "rehabilitated."

Beautiful animal though. And nowhere near as wild as you'd expect a captive bobcat to be. Then again, I've never seen it mad.

Kevin

Comment

Must have been cool to see it.

When I was about 16, I heard a noise outside. When I went to investigate, there was a racoon and a skunk eating side by side out of my dog's bowl. I was blown away.
      Last edited by Helevitia; 10 January 2005, 23:05.
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

KRSESQ;

You don't ever want to see a pissed off bobcat.....trust me

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Originally posted by Helevitia
          Must have been cool to see it.

When I was about 16, I heard a noise outside. When I went to investigate, there was a racoon and a skunk eating side by side out of my dog bowl. I was blown away.
          I would be too, if someone was eating MY dinner like that.

Comment

LMAO! OK, I need to correct that
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

Big cats tend to have more strength per pound than big dogs, which, along with their agility, makes them inherently more dangerous if they feel threatened. I would take bets on that 50lb Bobcat over a 120lb Great Dane any day, if the latter cornered the former. I wouldn't feel threatened by one if it was around the house, though if I had toddlers I would certainly keep them inside.. someone that small might be a tempting food item.

Comment

Just notified the Principal of Eriks school about the incident since it's immediately adjacent to the nearest woods with the "little kids" playground directly between them. There is also a municipal "little kids" playground between those woods and a subdivision.

Her eyes got just freakin' HUGE.

Methinks they will be looking closely at those woods during recesses.

Dr. Mordrid
                Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 11 January 2005, 18:14.
                Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I still think humans are far more of a threat to them on every level than the other way around. If left alone, that cat will probably never hurt anyone. Coyotes are far more dangerous in practice, because they are more likely to be actively agressive than to run away, like your cat did.

Comment

I've been in a cage with a Bobcat. I was taking its picture while the zookeeper cleaned its pen with a water hose. The water was the only thing between that beautiful cat and me. I kept the exit at my backside though.

We’ve had tons of cat sightings around Silicon Valley this last year. Many times there are reports of mountain lions but those usually are some other cats … though not always. Hey, I live right near Los Gatos … there’s a reason for the town’s name.
                    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

I learned a long time ago never to make presumptions about how a wild animal will behave, especially presumtions of their not being agressive. Learned that lesson during the 1973 deer season when a hunter about 200m from us was gored to death by a buck. Damn thing punctured his aorta and he bled out in minutes.

In this case the caution is IMO warranted because large cats will attack anything equal in size or smaller than them, including small children and its more than likely that he's been hanging out in the woods next to the school & public playgrounds.

Dr. Mordrid
                      Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 January 2005, 12:01.
                      Dr. Mordrid

Comment

My former boss has a cougar (and 3 lynx).

The big cat sometimes respond to the name of terminator, and generally sleeps inside his house.

Its rather playfull, although strangers are never allowed to be near it, when its being feed.

Ive watched my boos loose a bet as to if he could remove a piece of beef from terminators plate - without getting mauled.
                        Terminator pawed him without claws. His skin broke and he bleed out through his shirt.
                        Just a playfull: Dont touch my food, friend.

Terminator is 4 years of age and weighs in at about 50 kilos.

As to how my boss have gotten a permissioon to keep these pets (he also breeds Main Coon cats) I have no idea. Denmark is usually quite restrictive about souch permits.

~~DukeP~~

Comment

Love Maine Coons. My dad had a giant male ("Black Jack" - 24 lbs; ~10 kg) when I was in high school, and he was definitely a ONE-person kitty.

All others stay away...far away.

The best Black Jack story is when he stood toe-to-toe with the neighbors German Shepard, and ended up bloodying up its nose and chasing it out of our yard

I've long believed Black Jack thought he was a Pit Bull or Rottweiler.

Dr. Mordrid
                          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 12 January 2005, 15:49.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

We had a couple mountain lions wander into the neighborhhoods in Palo Alto yesterday ... http://www.ktvu.com/news/4080969/detail.html : a 150 lb. male which headed back into the hills and an 50 lb. adolescent they spotted in a tree near downtown.
                            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

We continue to have various cat sightings around the Bay Area and now this ... "Assemblyman Proposes Hunting Mountain Lions". Sounds like a dangerous strategy to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X