Thank you Symantec

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thank you Symantec

If you've got Nortons firewall 2005 and apply the latest liveupdate you'll need to reboot twice for have access to internet again.

For some reason all access to the outer world is blocked although you're able to ping and use tracert to any site and FTP. You're even able to access you're router which is puzzling as this is web based.

All I can say is thank you symantec for your high quality testing. I wonder how many calls you have generated to isp's over this.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Why do you people even bother with this crap?

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Yup, Go figure. And they just bought up Veritas Backup Software. Another program about to bite the dust. Half of Powerquests products got axed or integrated into ghost. We don't recommend their products to anybody, but people still keep requesting it???
      Alcohol and Drugs make life tolerable.

Comment

Originally posted by az
        Why do you people even bother with this crap?

AZ
        Well it's becuase nasty people write nasty programmes that also £uck up your pc.

I've tried Zonealarm, Outpost, Mcafee and a couple of others and they've all got their own ways of killing your Internet access or slowing your machine down to a crawl.

The problems are the people writing the spyware etc and poor quality control of software companies.
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

whats wrong with trusing the firewall in the router?
          The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Because they often are not enough. I know I don't trust the firewall in my Linksys router to block everything.
            “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Why don't I have any viruses or malware (that ad-aware or ssd detect) on my system without a (personal or other) firewall?

AZ

Comment

It really depends on what you do with your system, if all you do is work, are super carefull with email attatchments and browse legit websites then your almost certainly fine and you will never be bothered by virus's, if youve got a variable IP then its very unlikely you will be hacked through your router also.
                However if you browse some less than bonafide websites, run filesharing software and open all your email attatchments, then you will almost certainly fall foul of a virus pretty quickly. Ive been browsing the internet before and my virus detection has caught viruses manifesting in cookies or java applets, dont know how dangerous they can be but its definately worrying.
                is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
                Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Originally posted by az
                  Why don't I have any viruses or malware (that ad-aware or ssd detect) on my system without a (personal or other) firewall?

AZ
                  I don't either but some sites insist on IE based browsers and once in a 100 times you get an alert.

Also sometimes I have to vpn into the University network and with the crap flying around on the network it's amazing what comes up in the logs.
                  Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
                    whats wrong with trusing the firewall in the router?
                    Vpn pass through????
                    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I share files, I surf "not safe for work" websites, I regularly download little utilities etc. - I just don't open any attachment from any source, and I use a good browser. I don't even run AntiVir more than twice per month on average (including scanning a file I just downloaded).

Granted, I was affected by the blaster worm; now I keep my windows updated. I have a router that will be installed when/if I upgrade our computers, then I'll use its firewall.

AZ

Comment

Originally posted by az

AZ
                        A big part of it is that you aren't using Internet Exploder.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I use firefox and for some sites I have to use IE.

IE is the hole in the condom. The approach AZ is using is like not using condom becuase you think the you know the girl is safe.
                          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

The approach I use is like not using two condoms because then I really just as well could just be happy with my right hand

AZ

Comment

You'll learn I see thousands like you at the computer centre over a year when they had their data trashed.

Anyway ended up uninstalling the product as thunderbird wouldn't send mail anymore.

On re-install it worked fine.

It also seemed to have an issue with ATI's CC centre which is also a crappy product.
                              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
                              X