Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HTPC boots... after 3rd try ?!?!?

Hi all,

My HTPC works very nicely... when it wants to boot !

In fact it usually boots after the second or third try. Rebooting is always sucessfull, though (once it has booted once).

My G400 is hooked up to the TV with a selfmade RGB scart cable. When it is hooked up to a CRT monitor, il boots every time without any trouble.

As anyone experienced such a behaviour before ?

I have made sure that my HTPC is well wired to the ground... I dont'get it =(

Any ideas ?

Thx, Cesto
    Last edited by cesto; 10 January 2005, 08:59.

sounds like a dodgy power supply to me mate
    The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy
      sounds like a dodgy power supply to me mate
      Yes, it could be...

But to me it sounds like the graphic card is looking for the monitor before it boots and doesn't find it right away (???)

Therefor I built a VGA dummy plug. But unfortunately that didn't work for me... =(
      Is this the right kind of dummy plug for Matrox cards ?

Thx in avance, Cesto

Comment

I have my G400 connected to only a TV through the composite out and it boots everytime without a problem.
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

In fact I just realized I could check it by trying to boot without any kind of monitor nor Tv attached. Is this supposed to work ? (I mean "boot" =)

Comment

Booting without monitor *should* not be a problem. But knowing if it has booted....
            If the problem is before the POST, the beep can help, or perhaps some diagnostic leds that indicate the different POST steps (mainboard dependent: some have this, some don't). Ultimately, some mainboards allow the boot-up process to be followed via a serial terminal (but this is almost exclusive to server boards: even going into bios is possible then).

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Knowing it is booting shouldn't be too hard. When it "doesn't" boot, the hard drive starts spinning but there is no hard drive activity after that. It is not the case when the computer boots correctly.

Thanx for your answers, I will investigate further =)

l8er, Cesto

Comment

Perhaps you could check your PSU, more specifically the 5 V powerline...

If this isn't supplying enough power, you can get weird results : harddrive spinning but not seeking is one of them, PCI bus acting up is another one (i.e. the activity led on a SCSI controller won't light up). I'm not entirely sure what the IDE activity led does when 5V is not ok...

Jörg
                pixar
                Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

Working...
                X