new tire/wheel from Michelin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new tire/wheel from Michelin

The wheel isn't inflated, but its construction provides for everything.

Initially meant for low weight devices, but they are showcasing it on a Audi A4...

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Some other developments from Michelin:
    Pionnier de la science des matériaux depuis plus de 130 ans, Michelin construit un manufacturier leader mondial des composites et expériences qui transforment notre quotidien.

Tweel (above)
    Active wheel (wheel + suspension + engine inside it)

Jörg
    pixar

Comment

Cool
      DM says: Crunch with Matrox Users@ClimatePrediction.net

Comment

I wonder how well it does cornering,

and what if you park in a puddle at night and find it frozen in the morning - I think you will need a new ice scraper.

Breeezer
        Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

I suspect this model is open for the demo...

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Originally posted by breezer
            I wonder how well it does cornering,

and what if you park in a puddle at night and find it frozen in the morning - I think you will need a new ice scraper.

Breeezer
            Yes, and the kiddies will be putting baseball cards in the spokes to give it a more agressive sound
            Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

No punctures or blowouts!!!

But wonder if the plastic used has a relitavely short lifespan.

Should corner quite well as lateral movement appears quite rigid.

Comment

cool!
                The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Looks like they're using composites. (wouldn't seem possible otherwise)

The main issue I'd be worried about is the composite degrading due to solar UV. It has been noted as a problem on older carbon fiber bicycles.

Should this pan out, I have a nearly immediate industrial application for it...

Thanks for the link.
                  Let us return to the moon, to stay!!!

Comment

Only way I can see it working safely would be that when you take them in to the tire shop with worn treads, they exchange them with a freshly refurbished set and ship the old ones back to the factory to be inspected for fatigue and then retreaded if they're still in good shape.

Comment

I think under UK law, its necessary to have a pneumatic tyre on road going veichles....

this sort of thing would require legislative changes - which, even if they worked would take years to get here

If is is as it looks, it would be rather weight dependant - requireing a specific wheel for a specific weight (front wheels diferent from rear?)
                      Last edited by RedRed; 14 January 2005, 05:00.
                      Dont just swallow the blue pill.

Comment

Or if they do the same thing as tooth brush wear indicators. I.e. they change colour as they wear out.

Comment

Originally posted by Fluff
                          Or if they do the same thing as tooth brush wear indicators. I.e. they change colour as they wear out.
                          The problem is stress related fatigue damage is difficult to detect in composites until they break, it's not something that's visible just by looking at the stuff.

Comment

imagine active pneumatic spikes, computer-controlled & coupled with some kind of radar...

mfg
                            wulfman
                            "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                            "Lobsters?"
                            "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                            "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Here's a video of the "tweel" in action:

Comment

Working...
                              X