AMD Turion ("Anti-Centrino")

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Turion ("Anti-Centrino")

AMD has unveiled its Turion mobile processor, which they are apparently positioning against the Pentium M, and of which they say that it is not a slightly modified Athlon, but a completely new development. Not much is known about it other than that it supports AMD64.

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Well the P-M is a good chip so it's not really surprising.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

It's not surprising AMD wants to get a bigger piece of the notebook cake, but it's surprising they pulled it off (which remains yet to be seen, though further specs are said to be released during the next few days).

AZ

Comment

They've got to ship it before they pull it off. I hope they do as comp is good for us.
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
          Well the P-M is a good chip so it's not really surprising.
          From my understanding, the P-M is an evolved P3.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yup and it works. Have you seen one working??? Beats the ass of the p4 laptop .
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Wombat, does that make it a bad chip? AS TP said, it works.

AZ

Comment

The PIII was a very good chip. And the Dothan is one MEGA sweet chip.
                I would buy one if the mobos were readily available at reasonable prices...
                Here is a good review, in French, but the graphs are universal. They also overclock with volt mods an all
                PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

AMD are gonna need one very good chip to beat it...
                  PC-1 Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, 3800X, Asus B450M-PRO mATX, 2x8GB B-die@3800C16, AMD Vega64, Seasonic 850W Gold, Black Ice Nemesis/Laing DDC/EKWB 240 Loop (VRM>CPU>GPU), Noctua Fans.
                  Nas : i3/itx/2x4GB/8x4TB BTRFS/Raid6 (7 + Hotspare) Xpenology
                  +++ : FSP Nano 800VA (Pi's+switch) + 1600VA (PC-1+Nas)

Comment

The Athlon 64 Mobile chips are better than the Donathon P-M's. They just consume a hellacious amount of power compared to the P-M. I'm really looking forward to seeing some nice Turion/ATi Mobile Radeon x800 scores

Jammrock
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

They are not "better" mobile chips if they consume a hellacious amount of power

AZ

Comment

I think the P-M is a better processor than anything in the P4 family. I've never been a P4 fan.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

The turion is said to be compatible with the current A64 line (as in the current chipsets) and won't be a completely different platform as the centrino is. But they will really have to pull something off with Sonoma just weeks away. P-M with 533 Mhz bus and a new chipset.
                          Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

Working...
                          X