Werid Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Werid Problem

I put together a new system for my old man last week. Went together pretty well but having issues with it and I can't put my figure on it. Heres the specs:

MSI K8T Neo 2
    Althon 64 3500+
    ATI 9600 Pro
    WD 160GB SATA drive
    Some sort of SCSI Controller for his ZIP drive (long story...told him to get rid of it)
    SoundBlaster Audigy (I think)
    Windows XP Corp ed
    500W PS

The problem hes having is that you go to open up IE or something and the Monitor blanks out and doesnt come back on. You can reset the PC, but don't get any errors from Windows saying the PC wasnt shut down properly or what not. My father played with the video settings by making sure the refresh was ok and turned back the accelleration a notch, but still had the problem, it went from doing after being on 15 minutes as to long as 2 hours after the machine was just sitting there doing nothing.

When I set the machine up I used a copy of WinXP with SP2 already on it for the first time, that well came from you know and thought that was the problem. I did a reinstall of standard Windows XP (that works) then put SP2 on and it did it again to me. This is with the MS drivers that come with SP2 I'm assuming. I put in the new VIA drivers and Cat 4.12 drivers before I left for the evening last night and I haven't heard from him yet if its doing it again.

Does anyone have any other suggestions or seen anything similar to this?
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

can you try an older catalyst maybe around 4.7 or 4.10.
    think the latest drivers had some problems with non-ddc monitors or something like that. but that particular problem just blanks out after the splash screen. yours might be similar enough to try an older driver.
    Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
    ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

What type of Monitor LCD or CRT????
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
        What type of Monitor LCD or CRT????
        CRT NEC AccuSync 75F. Never had any problems on his 1Ghz AMD system with the Video card.

Comment

I've only heard these sort of problems with LCD's which there isn't a known cure for.

Try using the Microsoft gart rather than the Via one as Via drivers are as buggy as hell.

Is the machine running in the background or has it shut down.

Also MSI boards had a flaky period over a year ago and I dunno whether they've improved or not.

So you could have double trouble Via and a flaky msi board.
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

This sounds suspiciously like the old 640x480x4 problem.

Radeon technical support forum for all Radeon products from the classic Radeon to the latest cutting edge family of graphics cards.

Do you have GPU recover enabled? If not, enable that and see what happens.

Dave
            Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

I presume you've checked for the old spyware infection as I've seen these shut a machine down before.

Nothing in the event viewer about infinite loop either is there???
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Not sure if it the same problem I had, but you could try plugging the monitor into the other video port, worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                  I presume you've checked for the old spyware infection as I've seen these shut a machine down before.

Nothing in the event viewer about infinite loop either is there???
                  When it did it with me, it did it right after a fresh install.

I'll have to check the event viewer

Comment

Working...
                  X