Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bluetooth question

Hello,

I have a bluetooth-problem... I can connect my smartphone to my PC using bluetooth, and everything seems to work. However, to do this, I must always initiated the connection from the phone. For instance, if I want to synchonize with outlook, I must first connect to my PC using the phone. Then, while the bluetooth icon (on the PC) is green, I can sync. If the icon is white again, I can't sync. A similar story goes for all other applications: only when the icon is green, the PC can do stuff; and the icon only turns green if I connect manually from the phone.

Both devices are paired, the phone is set as an authorized device on the PC and vice versa.

Is this the normal behaviour?
    (FWIW, I see no difference between setting the PC as authorized on the phone or as not authorized)

Also, getting the phone to work as a modem is difficult. I managed to do it twice, but now I can't seem to manage anymore. Any hints on this topic?

Thanks!

(I have noticed there is new Nokia Software and Nokia Drivers, so I'll try those tonight)

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

What dongle do you have ? And what is your phone ?

It should connect automaticly if paired. Maybe you could look for a software upgrade for the bluetooth dongle, I solved a lot of problems this way.

Also apart from Sony Ericsson phones, too many phones have strange / non user friendly bluetooth behavior.
    System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

What drivers are you using for the PC Bluetooth adapter? I had a lot of issues with the generic PnP MS ones that came with Service Pack 2, the ones that come from the manufacturer seem to be much better. You have a Nokia 6260, right? Look for any firmware upgrades, I remember the 6230 had some serious issues with Bluetooth before they patched it. As a resort for the GPRS modem problems, you could go to your local GSM network service center and have them set the phone up, the techies here did a great job every time and considering that it's free it sure as hell beats doing it yourself
      All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Comment

Ok, the dongle is a Sitecom CN501 (class 1), with the driver package 1.4.2.11 (widcomm, came from Sitecom). It still is the latest version. The phone is a Nokia 6260 (there are no new firmwares yet).

I have the impression that the only benefit I have from pairing is that I can set the devices invisible to other bluetooth devices.
        In the phone is an option to set the PC as an authorized device, but this setting appears to be ignored. Similarly, there is a setting like that on the PC (in 'my bluetooth places' | my phone -> right-click -> authorization tab. Here I can autorize my PC to accept connections coming from the phone (for each service seperately).
        Of course, both devices are set as authorized on the other device.

The bluetooth icon remains white, it only turns green when I select connect (on the phone). It then stays green for a short while (unless the PC connects during this time: the icon then stays green for the duration of the connection). There is nothing I can do on the PC that turns the icon green, which makes me think I cannot initiate communications from the PC.

GPRS modem connections is not a problem: Nokia supplies a software that configures everything. However, my operator doesn't allow me this kind of access with a PC (requires an additional € 25 per month ). I just want to use it as a regular modem. I have managed twice from my PC (over bluetooth), and it always works from my Psion 5mx (over IR); so it must have something to do with the installation of the bluetooth modem (I get an error saying that the connection with the modem failed).

(the guy at the store did a great job in configuring everything on the phone: there were issues with the automatic configuration, causing it to fail. It took him a while to figure it out, but he managed )

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

OK it might be better to use a newer version of the widcomm driver. But as your dongle is a "noname" there probably won't be any upgrades available.

So you might want to try and install another version with the help of this guide : http://www.jonsguides.com/bluetooth/index.html It's the best bluetooth ressource I know on the web !

The only thing you will need are some patched file ro make the driver work with your dongle. Go to the forum, in the widcomm section to grab them.
          System : ASUS A8N SLI premium, Athlon 64X2 3800+, 2Gb, T7K500 320Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb SATAII, T7K250 250Gb ATA133, Nec ND-3520, Plextor PX130A, SB Audigy 2, Sapphire Radeon X800 GTO, 24" Dell 2407WFP.

Comment

Sitecom is no-name? Hmmm, luckily I didn't by that Target device they had...

Euhm, Nokia says that it needs a widcomm 1.4; I can't seem to find drivers on that URL you posted. It also says that if you have a blue-white icon, everything is installed fine...
            (I have a blue-white bluetooth icon, it even turns green when my paired phone connects)

Broadcom Corporation have requested that I remove the "patcher" utility that I have previous provided. Without this patcher you will not be able to make the HP (or any other) download work with devices other than those it has been locked to. There are probably other locations available on the Internet that may provide this information, but I can no longer offer it. I apologise for any inconvenience.

Still, the driver version that Sitecom offers matches with the version required by the Nokia (so that should be a good thing)

Jörg
            Last edited by VJ; 6 January 2005, 08:44.
            pixar

Comment

Well it's above noname but it's not a great brand either

i wouldn't trust too much what Nokia says about bluetooth, they have never been really good at it

If you want I can dig out a 1.4 version with the patched file to make it work on any dongle. I'll check this when I'm home they must be somwhere on my hard drive.

Comment

What are the most recent drivers?

To be honest, I'm not convinced this actually is a driver problem, but more of a configuration issue....

Jörg
                pixar

Comment

But I will reinstall everything again: Nokia has come with an updated PC Suite, and I'd have to remove PC Suite. Removing the current drivers is a small thing.

(it could be that I ... euhm... experimented a bit too much)

On another forum, some said I should make the phone visible. But isn't that the point of pairing: that you can limit which devices see yours ?

Jörg
                  pixar

Comment

I have a no-name Bluetooth dongle with the Widcomm drivers and a Nokia 7610 and even though the devices are paired the only way to access the phone from the PC is to make it visible.
                    I do not think this is the normal behaviour, it may be because of bugs in the phone's firmware. I also have a Nokia HS-4W bluetooth headset and it is supposed to automatically connect to the last phone paired when started, but unless I configure my phone to be visible, the headset will not connect with the phone automatically (I have to initiate the connection from the phone).

edit: spelling
                    nospam

Comment

I tried it (following that recommendation on the other forum), and indeed: connections from the PC to the phone are made automatically when the phone is visible. I thought pairing was to allow some devices to see a device (i.e. the phone), but he says that is not the case. The only thing pairing does (according to him) is allow incoming without user intervention.

So if i get interpret it correctly, suppose we both are within bluetooth range, you have your phone visible and paired to e.g. your headset. If I were to come with a laptop, I'll be able to see your phone, but won't be able to connect with it unless you approve this connection.

Still, it makes me wonder in what situation you can enable bluetooth but keep the phone invisible...
                      (I also would prefer my devices to be invisible)

Have you managed to use your phone as a modem? If so, how? (I managed it twice, but now I can't seem to get it to work again)

Thanks!

Jörg
                      pixar

Comment

I found this link:

Hide Bluetooth. This is a more subtle approach, but is equally effective. Once you have paired your Bluetooth phone with any accessories that you want to use with it, you can set the Bluetooth feature to be invisible to other Bluetooth devices. Your phone will still talk to the accessories that you've paired it with, but won't be visible to anyone trying to hack into it. In the parlance of the Bluetooth standard this is called making it non-discoverable. (Some manufacturers call it "hidden").
                        So our idea of 'hidden' is not incorrect! It is the phone that is! (hmm, actually, that should be )

Jörg
                        pixar

Comment

And this is what the offical bluetooth site says:

Some Bluetooth enabled devices allow you to choose whether or not your device is visible to other devices. Do you have a phone vulnerable to BlueSnarfing or BlueBugging? Does Bluejacking annoy you? Are you just generally concerned about whether your device can be seen? If so, you can put your device into a non-discoverable state (most devices have this option) so that you are invisible to other Bluetooth devices. This will have no impact on device functionality of paired devices and you can continue to enjoy the benefits of Bluetooth wireless technology.
                          So, has anybody used bluetooth devices in hidden mode? And is it possible for paired devices to connect to them?
                          (I want to know if I am misinterpretating this text, or if it is a implementation flaw...)

Jörg
                          pixar

Comment

Happy to see you found a solution, the latest drivers are v4, I installed them yesterday and are working very well with my noname dongle. If you want I can give you the necessery links

However, you device shouldn't need to be in detectable mode to synch once it's paired. I never had to do this with the bluetooth phones I used. Maybe it's a Nokia limitation.
                            My phone (SE K700i) is always in hidden mode and I can send/synch datas either from the phone or my PC. It was the same with my old T68i and it also works that way with a P800.

Comment

Originally posted by PAugustin
                              Happy to see you found a solution, the latest drivers are v4, I installed them yesterday and are working very well with my noname dongle. If you want I can give you the necessery links
                              The software I'm using is "Sitecom Bluetooth Software for Windows BTW v.1.4.2.11"
                              When you say v4, do you mean 1.4.4?
                              If yours are more recent, it might be interesting to give it a go...

Well, it is a solution, but I'm not pleased with it... (read on)

Otherwise, you device shouldn't need to be in detectable mode to synch once it's paired. I never had to do this with the bluetooth phones I used. Maybe it's a Nokia limitation.
                              My phone (SE K700i) is always in hidden mode and I can send/synch datas either from the phone or my PC. It was the same with my old T68i and it also works that way with a P800.
                              Yes, that is what I thought. In the current situation, to be useful, I'd have to keep the phone in visible mode, which I'd rather not.

The fact that it works correctly on a P800 seems to indicate that it is not a Symbian problem, but a Nokia problem...
                              Guess I'll mail them about it...

Jörg
                              pixar

Comment

Working...
                              X