Cryopsychosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cryopsychosis

It's the malady that inflicts people when, after a ice/sleet/snow storm cuts power to most of the city and shreds trees to tinder, they go out for a drive. It afflicts people in widely varing manners, typically 4 wheel drive owners develop an irrational belief that 4wd permits their vehicles to corner and decelerate more rapidly. Others become paranoid that their vehicle is possesed by the devil and that it will violently swerve off the road to kill them if they go more than 10 miles an hour. Some form a strange delusion that they have a special visual prowess that allows them to see through ice covered windows.

As you might guess, we've had some really crappy weather, the power was out overnight, but surprisingly our furnace kept working, I guess it must have a battery back-up for the thermostat and valve or something. The cable telephone's battery held out nicely too, although I would have liked to have seen just how long the thing can hold out without AC just out of curiosity.

So that's what the major malfunction of Dennis Quaid's ****wit character in The Day After Tomorrow was when he gets his buddies killed for no reason trying to get to his son a half minute before the airlift arrives anyhow. What a stupid movie.
    Last edited by KvHagedorn; 6 January 2005, 18:41.

Comment

KvH:

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

This inflicts Canadians up to 6 months of the year
        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

I've got another Darwin Award eligible syndrome; Stupidminibkeritis.

Stupidminibikeritis manifested in front of my house about an hour ago when three "victims" started riding their minibikes at full speed along our snow covered street.

The syndrome must have a rapid course as no sooner did this behavior manifest then 50 meters later all three worsened, popping wheelies just in time to hit a slew of ice/snow blown into the street by one of my neighbors snowblower.

All three hit the hazard, immediately flipped and slid into a Dodge RAM 3500 4x4 pickup at full tilt

Emergency services just finished cleaning up the mess.

Dr. Mordrid
          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 6 January 2005, 13:43.
          Dr. Mordrid
          ----------------------------
          An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

With 52,000 people without power just in the Wichita city limits, there's lots of people running around with nothing to do but drive around apparently, which seems to be adding to the problem.

Comment

52000 people without power? How come?

AZ

Comment

A little ice.

Comment

Very cold *shivers* (a few years ago we had -27°C for a week or so around new-year - I actually liked it ).

But how can the cold temps knock power out? Did trees fall on the power lines? And 7 days to fully restore power! Whoa! I think I never was without power for more than half an hour in my life, and I was getting nervous with that!

AZ

Comment

Not cold, ice. We had an ice storm and then gusty winds overnight that helped tear trees down all over the area. The cold just kept the ice from melting and made things uncomfortable for people without heat.

Comment

I'm a little dense tonight, sorry

BTW, I was under the impression Wichita wee spelled somehow more complicated, like Witchita or Whitchita or something.. or is there more than one Wichita?

AZ

Comment

Not as far as I know or could find online. There's Wichita Falls in Texas and the Wichita mountains in Oklahoma, but that's all I know of.

Comment

That's pretty bad, but nothing like eastern canada and north-east US got in '98.

A month after the ice storm there were still 700,000 people without power
                          Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

That would suck, just a tad.

Comment

Working...
                            X