Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• irda communication between XP and ME

Hello,

I recently tried to transfer files between 2 laptops using irda (we had no cables ). However, I didn't get it to work. On laptop had XP, the other ME. I could send files from the XP computer to the one running ME, but not the other way around. (it looks like the ME computer never finds the XP one, I have defined a new user on the XP machine with the same username as the ME user, but it didn't help)

I seem to recall chances in the irda protocol stack, so does anyone know how to do it? (does it need patches or so?)

BTW: the XP machine could send/receive files to my mobile, the ME machine couldn't even manage that.

Jörg
    pixar
    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Requires a software update, just update ME to an actual OS

Comment

P.S. You've been Spanked!

Comment

Yes, but herein lies the catch: the ME machine is an old laptop, it can't run XP (not enough memory) and I don't know if there are drivers for W2K...

I just had a thought: could one define a direct cable connection using the ir-comport ?

Jörg
        pixar

Comment

Just found this (googling for 'direct cable connection ME infrared'):

(configuring the IR port as a network card)

In XP, one can do the same (if there is an IR COM or LPT port):
          -
          Under Network Tasks, click Create a new connection, and then click Next.
          Click Set up an advanced connection, and then click Next.
          Click Connect directly to another computer, click Next, and then follow the instructions in the New Connection Wizard
          -
          (from XP help)

I haven't been able to try it (I was asked this problem at our newyearseve party), but I think it might work...

I have mailed it to the guy that asked me...

Jörg
          pixar

Comment

Working...
          X