New Receiver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Receiver

Well I wondered into my local Best Buy This afternoon to see they had some really good deals on Klisph speakers that I've been ogging for a while. Basicly I got the Front/center/rear channel speakers for almost 50% off since they where open box and last years model.

I've been having problems with my JVC Reciever doing odd things, but it wasnt anything major today till I went to hook up my centre channel speaker and found out that output doesnt work! I checked the the center speaker out one of the other lines and it works ok.

So I'm looking for a new reciever to replace my JVC. Any suggestions for one in the $300-400 range?
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Do not buy another JVC, in fact do not even buy Sony, what you can buy for that kind of money is a Yamaha or a Pioneer or even a Marantz.
    A Denon would be nice, Harmon Kardon is another good choice.
    Sorry I don't have actual model numbers, you need to ask the salesmen about the specifics and see what fits your budget.

Good luck, be sure to post what you ended up buying.

Regards,
    Elie

Comment

Don't buy a Pioneer unless it's Pioneer Elite, and those are overpriced. We've sold Yamaha for years and they are great, but don't buy it from Best Buy (gag). Get the real RXV series from a real dealer. The RXV1500 is the best for the money imho. Japanese receivers generally fall into two categories.. mid-fi and low-fi. Mid-fi is represented by Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, and Harmon-Kardon.. Low-fi would be Sony, JVC, Pioneer, Technics, Kenwood, Teac, etc. Hi-fi in my opinion doesn't start until you have a well-built separate amp and preamp/processor. With Klipsch speakers that's kinda a waste, though. Get the Yamaha.

Comment

I have noticed that american Yamaha model numbers are different than european ones - are the models also different (apart from PAL/NTSC and 230/115V), or are they the same models with different names? And why do companies do this? (Also Canon Ixus/Elph, Minolta Alpha/Dynax/Maxxum etc.)

AZ
        There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

That's an easy one to answer, first you have to deal with each country's standards for example, in Canada everything has to meet CSA specifications before it is approved and in the United States everything has to meet FAA specifications so there's two model numbers right there.

Then you have Europe, where they have 220volts vs 110 in North America, so the model number must change to reflect that as well.

and the list goes on of course

Regards,
          Elie

Comment

What Is The Difference Between The RX-V Line And The HTR Line?

There are many similarities between these two product lines. The RX-V line and the HTR line are produced in the same Yamaha factory using the same high quality parts throughout. The RX-V and equivalent HTR models have the same warranty periods, the same manufacturer's suggested retail price, the same features, and the same remote control units.

There is a cosmetic difference found on the front panels of these two lines. The RX-V line maintains the traditional white colored lettering normally found on most Yamaha components, while the HTR line provides a slightly different approach. Yamaha has created a new look by using gold colored lettering in selected areas on the HTR receiver series. However, both the RX-V line and the HTR line feature the same high quality front panel construction.

The amplifiers in the HTR and RX-V units are identical but rated differently to comply with the accepted measurement standards of their respective channels of distribution. Both ratings are FTC approved and are designed to handle the dynamics of today's audio and video sources. The RX-V line has the power amplifiers rated from 20-20000 Hz. The HTR line has the power amplifiers rated at 1000 Hz. Both lines can reproduce the full frequency response of 20-20000 Hz.

The RX-V line is typically sold through Yamaha authorized audio/video specialty retailers, and is not available for mail order sales, phone sales, or internet sales.

The HTR line is sold through mass merchants, catalog retailers, and department stores. You may also purchase the HTR line through the mail, by phone, or at authorized internet retailers.

All transactions must be done through the authorized Yamaha dealer network. Any purchase made from an unauthorized dealer/retailer voids the Yamaha manufacturer's warranty.
            Im my experience, the HTR line and other components destined for best buy-type stores also have poorer quality control. We got four cd changers from this series once and two of them had warped turntables.

.. and there is no mass-market equivalent for the better Yamaha receivers, the RXV1500 and RXV2500.
            Last edited by KvHagedorn; 4 January 2005, 22:49.

Comment

Originally posted by Elie
              ...in the United States everything has to meet FAA specifications...
              I think you mean the FCC, unless you're going to be flying in your receiver.
              Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

I think he means UL
                Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                  The RX-V line is typically sold through Yamaha authorized audio/video specialty retailers, and is not available for mail order sales, phone sales, or internet sales.
                  hmm found a couple places on line offering the RXV1500
                  Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                    Japanese receivers generally fall into two categories.. mid-fi and low-fi. Mid-fi is represented by Yamaha, Denon, Onkyo, Marantz, and Harmon-Kardon.. Low-fi would be Sony, JVC, Pioneer, Technics, Kenwood, Teac, etc. Hi-fi in my opinion doesn't start until you have a well-built separate amp and preamp/processor. With Klipsch speakers that's kinda a waste, though. Get the Yamaha.
                    Onkyo has some hifi models (in the Onkyo Integra range), but at quite a price.

However, I feel that real hifi equipment still has to move towards home cinema (i.e. Sphinx, Luxmann, McIntosh, Rotel, ...). In the audio (not home cinema) equipment, Denon and Marantz also have hifi counterparts here, they seem to be slowly moving towards similar components in the home cinema realm.

An interesting feature of home cinemas (IMO) is automatic calculation of equalizer, volume and delays. My brother's denon came with a microphone for this purpose, and it does a nice job at estimating the rooms accoustics (and at optimizing for it). He has a Denon AVR3805, in combination with Monitor Audio speakers.

I do think that Yamaha also performs nice (price/performance), but when I was shopping for a hifi system, I didn't go for Yamaha as it sounded a bit artificial to me... But this was almost 10 years ago, and not for home cinema equipment.

az: sometimes, the specifications actually differ, as manufacturers dare to tweak them to local preferences. Sometimes they even dare replace components to offer different warranties (i.e. 5 years in Europe, 2 years in other locations). Not sure if this is currently still done often, but in the past it happend.

Jörg
                    Last edited by VJ; 5 January 2005, 08:53.
                    pixar
                    Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

The number of connections on the back of some of these things is ridiculous.

Denon AVR-3805

seems like a good one off audioreview.com and it seems quite futureproof! for the ability to use the denon link for digital conenction for sacd and dvd-a. rather than analog cables.

Might be a bit on the procey side but probably a good investment.
                      Last edited by Fluff; 5 January 2005, 11:19.

Comment

AFAIK, Sony does not allow SACD-digital outputs on any SACD devices, only reformatted 48khz/16bit PCM. On the other hand, Philips might just have a few SACD players turning out 192/24 as well, not sure.
                        Join MURCs Distributed Computing effort for Rosetta@Home and help fight Alzheimers, Cancer, Mad Cow disease and rising oil prices.
                        [...]the pervading principle and abiding test of good breeding is the requirement of a substantial and patent waste of time. - Veblen

Comment

Originally posted by gt40
                          I think he means UL
                          The guy at the place where I had my internship was in teh process of getting a device UL approved. He told me how it went:

You fly over to canada, meet the engineer who will test your device, invite him for lunch at a nice restaurant etc., he reviews your device and writes a huge report in unreadable handwriting, and when he finds something that's not according to standards you just assure him that this will be changed for mass production, and if he likes you etc. he just overlooks it. Once you are UL approved, nobody is ever interested in the report again (except when something goes horribly wrong)

AZ
                          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I didn't go for Yamaha as it sounded a bit artificial to me.
                            I found the same when I went reciever hunting a few years back, I think its more becasue they were optimised for movies surround and not so much for music

BUT when I did some hunting around last year I found that the yamaha's have defintley improved in that area and I would have no problem buying one for music nowdays

Still have not bought a reciever yet, My brother has lent me one of his rotel amps indefintely so I just don't seem to be in much of a hurry to find a reciever now

Comment

Originally posted by GT98
                              hmm found a couple places on line offering the RXV1500
                              Greymarket.. no warranty.

Comment

Working...
                              X