Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed up FireFox

Works pretty good

Forever Geek is your place to go for all things Tech & Gadgets. Bringing you all the breaking Tech & Gadgets news, our opinions and the latest updates.
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Giving it a try now, I'll see what if anything changes
    Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
    MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
    Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
    Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

A nice improvement here.
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

works fairly well. I noticed some small glitches where certain graphics will not load every once in a while. Other than that, it is fast.
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

nice here too
          P4b@2.7, AOpen ax4spe max II, 4X Parhelia 128 with Zalman zm80c and fan -or- ATI Radeon X800GTO, 1024mb.

Comment

What you can do is create a blank text file in your Firefox profile and rename it user.js - that way you can take your customizations with you. Just add these lines of code:
            user_pref("config.trim_on_minimize", false);
            user_pref("nglayout.initialpaint.delay", 0);
            user_pref("network.http.pipelining", true);
            user_pref("network.http.proxy.pipelining", true);
            user_pref("network.http.pipelining.maxrequests", 100);

Comment

Definitely a nice improvement

Comment

You could just use Opera

Go on Az, tell em!

Comment

You mean I should ridicule them for having to turn some hidden screws in order to make their browser as fast as another, smaller, faster, more feature-rich browser? Why?

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by SitFlyer
                    Definitely a nice improvement
                    Another two from me.
                    Titanium is the new bling!
                    (you heard from me first!)

Comment

yup def. faster.

Thumbs up from me too...

JD
                      Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus.

Comment

Tried it not much differance to be honest.
                        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

seemed to make things slower for me. Go figure, oh well...
                          Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
                          MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
                          Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
                          Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Great little tips, but only one problem, and that's that you're breaking servers by doing this. 3-5 requests is fine, but trying to do 30 requests at once puts some strain on the server. If two people try to access the same page at once with this set, that's 60 connections. Most httpd's are set to cut off after there are 100 connections made. So, 4 people with this set could not access the same site. I urge you to think things through before setting something like this and killing the websites you browse.
                            The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

AZ, is that you?
                              To further add info: as #23 states (somewhat incorrectly), pipelining DOES NOT add more connections - the original post is utterly wrong, but is a way of streaming data on single connection.

There is AFAIK an in-built limit of 10 to network.http.pipelining.maxrequests - so setting it as 30 is ignored by Firefox anyway! That is for a GOOD reason - higher values are not better - they can cause complete page-loading failure and thus a longer loading time! Leave it at 4-6.

The above comment #23 is neither fully correct - pipelining is different from persistent connections he describes. Connections are persistent (don't close between each request) on a HTTP/1.1 compliant server irrespective of pipelining. Pipelining allows that single persistent connection to work more efficiently:

NOTE: Opera has had this "tweak" for years, partly responsible for its reputation of being the fastest browser around.

ALSO: setting nglayout.initialpaint.delay to 0 will increase page-loading time - especially on older machines or slow connections. It causes the page to be redrawn earlier (so perceptually seems quicker), but the extra CPU load will slow the rendering down (potentially increasing total load time). Set it to 750 or 1000 on older computers or slow connections. The default of 250 is just fine IMO as a fair average.
                              The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Working...
                              X