Christmas/New Year 'sales'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas/New Year 'sales'

What gives in the UK this year - there are no sales - everything I have seen has gone up since Christmas.

Case in point.
    I wanted a new shaver for Christmas.
    The one I wanted was reduced from £60 to £30 but was sold out everywhere. So I opted for one that was reduced from £40 to £20. This was only bought a couple of days before Christmas.

As it turned out, the shaver was damaged, so I checked online where it was in stock to return it - the buyer gave me the receipt to do this.

Both of the shavers were now in the end of year sales, at £22 and £5 off - so now they cost £38 for the one that was £30 before Christmas, and £35 for the other one.

All the stores near me were out of the one I needed to exchange, but one had the more expensive one.

One lost receipt, a credit note at current price, and £3 later and now I have the more expensive shaver for a total cost of £23 and a receipt that shows I paid cash of £38. I'm quite tempted to see if it'll go back up in price after the new year and I can get it to £60

Cheers, Argos, Happy New Year

In this case, I did quite well out of it, but I think it's pretty unethical to increase prices and call it a Sale - especially when there wasn't even a week of higher price in between.

This year it seems that the people that bought before Christmas got better prices than those that are buying afterwards.

Off subject sorta, but i returned my Christmas tree lastnight to Target and they gave me back full cash which i was suprised. the trees were now 50% off so i thought i would get back like $55. or something.. instead i got back $106.

Can i just say how embarrasing it was to return a tree by the way?

never will i do that again. but i sorta had too this time. my claims worker is on vacation for abot three weeks from workmans comp.
    www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

If you got the receipt and it's faulty you should get back what you paid for it..

Why did you have to return it?

Comment

it wasnt faulty it was just a pain in the ass. i thought it was one of those trees that you take out of the box and set it up. but its one of those trees that you put the pole up and you attatch every single individual branch too. !

and after i had it up for 4 days, all the lights stopped working except for the bottom strand. so it wasnt lit up for the all of xmas.

oh well.
        www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

It's really funny, I'm really bewildered whenever I hear americans talk about christmas trees because, you know, a christmas tree here is... a tree. I really couldn't imagine how to plug a tree in until I realized that you probably mean a plastic tree

AZ
          There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

We got a plastic tree for the first time this year.
            I have allways objected.
            But, no pickup anymore and no time either.

got ours at Target too. No lights came on it though.
            I thought the branches folded down and snapped in place, but it turned out to be like Liz's.

Looks real nice, and no needles all over the floor.
            Chuck
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

Rob are you saying shops are being dishonest and using the word Sale to entice people to spend money on stuff they don't really need
              When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

You generally expect a mixed bag of crap that's worth nothing reduced to nearly nothing, stuff that is end of line reduced a bit, and whatnot.
                Argos is just plain taking the piss.
                If anyone bought anything, pre-Christmas, and it now costs more, I reckon we should run a competition to see who can grow their money the most.
                I pity whoever has to balance the books

Comment

Originally posted by Lizzard[MPE]
                  Off subject sorta, but i returned my Christmas tree lastnight to Target and they gave me back full cash which i was suprised. the trees were now 50% off so i thought i would get back like $55. or something.. instead i got back $106.

Can i just say how embarrasing it was to return a tree by the way?

never will i do that again. but i sorta had too this time. my claims worker is on vacation for abot three weeks from workmans comp.
                  Originally posted by az
                  It's really funny, I'm really bewildered whenever I hear americans talk about christmas trees because, you know, a christmas tree here is... a tree. I really couldn't imagine how to plug a tree in until I realized that you probably mean a plastic tree
                  Me too. We always get a real tree. My jaw was actually dropping thinking that Liz was being an incredible sleaze by returning her used dead Christmas tree, turning brown and needles falling off, after she had used it for Christmas.

Shoulda known better..

Comment

HAHAHAA.

ha.

no no noooooo.

and i couldnt get a real tree this year i wouldnt have been able to carry it around with my back.
                    www.lizziemorrison.com

Comment

Working...
                    X