Broadband router for gamers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broadband router for gamers?

According to the product propoganda, the router is designed to recognize packets from all the popular games and give them (I assume QoS style) the highest bandwidth priority. On top of that, it sports a Gb ethernet switch and 108 Mb modified 802.11g.

I wonder if it doesn't suck? Anyone seen reviews for it?

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

I'd rather have a router that did traffic shaping for http, so I can continue surfing swiftly while sharing files. This is possible with the cFos DSL driver for windows, but I know no router with this built in.

This traffic shaping won't give you any benefits when there is no other traffic, as it would be when playing, I presume, because you don't want any filesharing apps sucking away resources anyway (and traffic shaping is not MAGIC - your lag WILL increase if your upload is saturated, it will just do so much less than without traffic shaping).

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

still, a good idea... however, I suspect most people that would want this would close down any other apps before playing...
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

Originally posted by az

This traffic shaping won't give you any benefits when there is no other traffic, as it would be when playing, I presume, because you don't want any filesharing apps sucking away resources anyway (and traffic shaping is not MAGIC - your lag WILL increase if your upload is saturated, it will just do so much less than without traffic shaping).

AZ
        It's a router, you normally connect several computers to one of these, so one of the other PC's could be downloading or browsing the internet...

They already had this on their website under products a few days ago when i was looking for a wireless/wired network storage solution for my brother.
        Main Machine: Intel Q6600@3.33, Abit IP-35 E, 4 x Geil 2048MB PC2-6400-CL4, Asus Geforce 8800GTS 512MB@700/2100, 150GB WD Raptor, Highpoint RR2640, 3x Seagate LP 1.5TB (RAID5), NEC-3500 DVD+/-R(W), Antec SLK3700BQE case, BeQuiet! DarkPower Pro 530W

Comment

You're right, still I don't believe this will have NO effect on lag, only the effect will be greatly reduced (which might well be enough, of course).

AZ

Comment

your router is only part of the equation. It's the sum of all the other's lag that make up the big figure. Reducing it at a single point is unlikely to change anything.

Comment

Re: Broadband router for gamers?

Originally posted by Jammrock
              I wonder if it doesn't suck? Anyone seen reviews for it?
              ExtremeTech is the Web's top destination for news and analysis of emerging science and technology trends, and important software, hardware, and gadgets.
              Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
              MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
              Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
              Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

The article basically confirms what I was saying; it works, but not good enough to do serious gaming while sharing files.

AZ

Comment

Working...
                X