Rugged/Weatherproof Camera?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rugged/Weatherproof Camera?

Anyone have any suggestions for decent cameras that are about as indestructable as you can get in consumer models? I generally need something that could survive the outdoors in adverse conditions (including baby-powder like sand) for extended periods.

Thanks,
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

There are add-on cases for compact cameras like the canon S70, A95 or the Minolta X series that are intended for diving, I suppose these would be suitable for your purposes, too. Keep in mind though that the cases add some bulk, aren't cheap, and changing batteries or media is still going to need a clean place. I would get a camera that has a case that doesn't have any extending parts, because of the sand. I don't know how the canon cases are built with regards to the zoom, but the Dimage X series zooms internally; it's also very compact.

You will not be able to do any serious available light shooting without flash with any compact digicams though, except for the panasonic lumix dmc-fx5 and 7, which have a built-in stabilizer. I don't know whether underwater/all-weather cases are available for them though.

AZ
    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

hmm, I had not considered an additional case. My last idea involved something in the formfactor similar to the Panasonic tossed in a double bagged ziplock or something. compact would be nice, and that was the biggest problem with most "all weather" cameras I saw.

The integrated lens cover would be good, but with the fact it uses an external zoom/focus mechanism it just doesn't seem like it would deal well with being out in a dusty environment for extended periods.

hrmm. do you know of any problems that might arise from continual exposure to "excessive" vibration, even when powered down?

hmmm, a friend just picked up a Canon SD300, although that is a little over the top for what I need - especially since right now it seems wiser to go for something cheaper (like the Canon SD200, or the Dimage X31?) and just expect it to break eventually.
      Last edited by DGhost; 27 December 2004, 23:46.
      "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Continued vibration is never good for technical gadgets. That said, I know of someone who took his Dimage 7 (big, plasticky, mechanical zoom) on a mountain bike trip through the sahara desert without any problems - without any protection. Mind you, I wouldn't take that risk, but that guy was accustomed to his Leicas - these are rugged, but not digital

I think I'd go for a Dimage X with case, because this won't have no exposed moving parts, but I'd try it out in my hand before - these cases really add bulk and don't really do much for usability either.

AZ

Comment

I was kinda thinking the Dimage X31... pretty cheap for the cost and without the moving parts it would help a lot.

If I went for the case I would probably get something along the lines of a Olympus Digital Stylus Verve (!?) and get their "water resistant" housing for it. their housing doesn't look like it adds too much to the bulk of the camera.

Continued vibration isn't good for anything and I hope that I won't be subject to it, but shit happens and you never know when you find yourself shoved into a small space in a vehicle that vibrates way too much. I had a Creative NuvoNX (?) that survived the environment without any extra protection, so you never know. It did, however, have dirt cramed into everyplace that you could imagine.

Oh well, thanks for the advice.

Comment

Yeah, the stylus Verve's water resistant housing also looks nice from the tiny picture on Olympus' website, dunno about moving parts though, they don't show it from the side.

I think if you keep your cam somewhere on your body, vibrations will be dampened quite a bit.

AZ

Comment

Not sure how well it will hold up in the sand. I got the cheap version for taking snorkeling shots. It kept the water out, can't comment too much about the shots. . I have no experience with the more expensive model.

Cheap camera: $19.99

Expensive camera: $199.99
              RC Agent
              AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz, MSI 785GT-E63, 6 GB(2x1GB, 2x2GG) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Asus EAH4850 TOP
              AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz, ASRock A790GXH/128M BIOS 1.7, 4 GB(2x2GB) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Gigabyte HD 6850 1GB DDR5
              AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7GHz, Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 BIOS 2501 , 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 1866 CL9 Crucial BallisticX(BLT4G3D1869DT1TX0) , Sapphire HD7870 2GB GDDR5 OC, Seasonic 850w powers supply

Comment

I think the cheap one might be a definite option (dunno how films would like the climate etc. though); I'd be wary about that no-name digital camera, though, even if the price seems good.

AZ

Comment

well, the environment is going to be desert. I've done film before, but I used disposable cameras and stripped the film out of them when they were finished. personally, it is not worth getting a cheap film camera when I would much rather use disposables. the biggest advantage is because you are constantly getting rid of the housings, they never develop gunk buildup.

water is generally not too much of an issue. it is possible that it would get wet, although probably not submerged. My major reason for a waterproofed digital camera is that the gaskets should help keep sand and dirt out.

wearing devices on the body is indeed a good old trick for dampening vibration. however, most cameras I have seen are too bulky too effectively toss into a pocket that is close to the body. Cargo pockets are a possibliity, although they do not offer the same protection and are very loose. they would probably be tossed in a pouch on a backpack, or something along those lines. If it involves lots of vibrations, I probably will not be using it.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback. definately stuff to look into.

Comment

Interesting side note, I found a Pentax that is supposed to be pretty good (Optio 43WR, <a href="http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/O43WR/O43A.HTM">review</a>) and looks like it will do almost perfectly. my only gripe would be the lack of a built in lens cover, but the fact it can be washed off in a sink would definately make it easier to cope with.

Comment

Originally posted by DGhost
                      hmmm, a friend just picked up a Canon SD300, although that is a little over the top for what I need - especially since right now it seems wiser to go for something cheaper (like the Canon SD200, or the Dimage X31?) and just expect it to break eventually.
                      FYI, Canon sells waterproof housings for its digital cameras. Compatibility chart
                      SD200 at $260
                      SD200 housing at $125
                      RC Agent
                      AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz, MSI 785GT-E63, 6 GB(2x1GB, 2x2GG) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Asus EAH4850 TOP
                      AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7GHz, ASRock A790GXH/128M BIOS 1.7, 4 GB(2x2GB) DDR2 800 Corsair XMS2, Gigabyte HD 6850 1GB DDR5
                      AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.7GHz, Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 BIOS 2501 , 8GB(2x4GB) DDR3 1866 CL9 Crucial BallisticX(BLT4G3D1869DT1TX0) , Sapphire HD7870 2GB GDDR5 OC, Seasonic 850w powers supply

Comment

have a look at this one:

Pentax has announced an underwater digital camera in the shape of the 'sporty' and 'elegant' five megapixel Pentax OptioWP, which is waterproof to a depth of 1.5 meters. A handy function that has been added is the recovery mode, which enables you to retrieve accidentally deleted images or audio files, as long as no further data has been recorded. The OptioWP measures a slimline 22mm thick, has a 2-inch LCD, 1cm macro mode and red-eye compensation function which 'touches up' red eye in images after they have been taken. It will be available in April, with pricing to be confirmed at PMA.

(should perform better than the 43WR)

mfg
                        wulfman
                        "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                        "Lobsters?"
                        "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                        "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

I was just going to post about that.

BTW, we have a store here that has both the Pentax WR and the waterproof housing for that curvy looking Olympus, and I must say, the Olympus would probably fit my hands better, since the WR is quite square, and the Oly housing doesn't really add much bulk to the camera.

BTW, If you worry about sand, I think a waterproof housing for a cam is still a better option than a waterproof camera (lens scratches, sand in the mechanics - lens cover, zoom. Zoom lenses can't be fully sealed, because if they'd expand, they'd create under pressure inside if they were.)

AZ

Comment

Hmmm, interesting. The thing I have heard about the Olympus is that the image quality is relatively poor. It does appear that between the Stylus Verve and that 43WR it definately looses.

the bonus points that the Pentax have is that their zoom mechanisms are internal and the body is sealed - I can't really see a reason why this would cause under pressure since you do not change the internal volume of the camera. their biggest problem is that the lens cap is seperate...

my current theory involves one of the Pentax cameras and some ziplock bags, but I continue to re-evaluate that as time goes on...

Comment

You're right WRT non-extending zooms. Ziplocks bags are a very good idea, but you'd have to try it out beforehand in a camera store, dunno how they would affect image quality.

BTW, my sister just visited and she has a Sony camera, and I am VERY VERY pleased with picture quality (it's not the one with the internal zoom lens, it's some 5mp point and shoot with 3x zoom, which I find is really not enough zoom).

AZ

Comment

Working...
                              X