Router Weirdness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Router Weirdness

I've had a cronic problem for the past year with my Routers not seeing my cable modem.

I have just replaced my Netgear RP614 modem with a new Netgear WGT624. The new modem worked great for about 2 weeks and then the same old problem of no connection reappeared again.

So, thinking it may be the modem I went down to Comcast and swapped my old modem for another. Problem didn't get better.

I have the Windows and Mcafee firewalls disabled.

The only thing that helps is if I turn off the power strip that all is plugged into for awhile.

Could I have some kind of ground loop causing problems?????

The only thing I haven't replaced is my network card.

Right now I have the nic connected directly to the cable modem.
    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

umm... just off the top of my head, and being too lazy to go read docs...
    your cable modem isn't doing something silly like also doing DHCP? if it is, there could be a lease renewal issue
    Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

Netgear RP614

i just purchased this router a couple of months ago...working good so far(..as i knock on wood).

the setup instructions say to bring the router up first and then the cable modem, after a minuet and while running the initial setup. i didn't do this at first and the router said that i had a "static ip address". there is also a "detect adapters" since you changed your NIC

on another note...check out the "lease expires" timestamp on my connection...

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : columbus.rr.com

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx
      Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
      Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.XXX
      Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
      Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
      DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
      DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.95.80.45

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, December 25, 2004 7:40:49 PM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, January 18, 2038 10:14:07 PM

...any ideas??

cc
      Last edited by Chucky Cheese; 26 December 2004, 06:31.

Comment

No, there is no lease renewal stuff with Comcast.

I can connect with the modem connected to the nic but after 10 minutes it starts to slow down until I loose connection.

Then I have to power down and turn the power off for the powerstrip and wait awhile . I can then turn on the powerstrip which powers up the modem and then turn on the computer. But once it slows down resetting the modem doesn't help. I have to power off everything for awhile.

I'll go get a new nic today and maybe a new powerstrip too.

Very strange........
        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Cable??

...just curious what grade is the cable between the nic and the router???

cc

Comment

Belkin Fastcat 5e.

Connection is crapping out already.
            I have to keep resetting the modem.

Nic is a Linksys LNE100TX
            Last edited by ALBPM; 26 December 2004, 07:49.

Comment

Apart from whats been stated already about cables and grounding you're not broadcasting tons of rubbish which is causing it too fall over????
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Newest Driver??

it seems as though it is a driver problem??? do you have the latest driver?

cc

Comment

I'm not broadcasting that I know of?????

Just switched over to the onboard Intel PRO/100 VE nic and the same thing is happening.

Even with the Intel nic connected to the modem I still have to unplug and reset the modem every few minutes to stay online.
                  Last edited by ALBPM; 26 December 2004, 09:31.

Comment

Originally posted by ALBPM
                    No, there is no lease renewal stuff with Comcast.
                    There is where I live. Actually, here at my parent's in NJ, the lease time is one day. At my place in Denver, the lease time is 4 days.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Just checked and mine does Jan 5, 2005.
                      So, that's not a problem yet.

Still don't know why the nic to modem slows down to a stop in a few minutes.

Comment

Is this on winxp by chance, mine does the same thing every now and then, but my win2k computers are not affected.
                        I'm using a linksys router and onboard intel pro100/ve.
                        only solution is to shutdown and reboot.
                        Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

ALBPM, that sounds exactly as the symptoms I had when my routers where dying
                          I have had a couple of them go bad in that way, one was a netgear that overheated, after wentilating its case its been working great at a buddy's place
                          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

That is really weird, I'd have to say heat is probably your enemy, but I wouldn't rule out the chance of a weird groundloop or a bad PSU on either the Router or the cable modem being the culprit.

Try a different power strip.

Then, try a different power outlet.

Maybe stick a voltmeter in the power socket and check AC Voltage from Hot to Neutral, then Hot to Ground, followed by Neutral to Ground;

For US Residential 120VAC;

Short Slot = Hot

Long Slot = Neutral

Round Slot = Ground

The following are the voltages you should find (+/- 10%) between the slots:

Hot -> Neutral = 120VAC +/-10%

Hot -> Ground = 120VAC +/-10%

Neutral -> Ground = 0 - 1.0 VAC +/-10%

Again, any fluctuation of more than 10% on these readings will indicate a problem with either your wiring or the outlet itself.
                            Hey, Donny! We got us a German who wants to die for his country... Oblige him. - Lt. Aldo Raine

Comment

Okay, went and got a Belkin SurgeMaster

This one also filters out noise from other electrical stuff.

And.... exchanged the Netgear WGT624 for a Linksys WRT54GS.

I just connected the Router and this is the longest I've been online for a few days.
                              If it happens again it may be a problem with the line into my office and the cold weather we've been having lately.

Current readings from my Modem look like this:

Tx Power 47.2 dBmV
                              Rx Power 14.1 dBmV
                              Downstream SNR 31.4 dB
                              Tx Frequency 32000000 Hz
                              Rx Frequency 705000000 Hz

Comment

Working...
                              X