Tylenol poisoning upsurge....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tylenol poisoning upsurge....

I've long been apprehensive about acetaminophen (Tylenol etc.) based on a conversation I had years ago with a toxicologist. His opinion was that it never should have been made an over the counter drug based on how toxic it is to the liver in relatively low multiples of the theraputic dose.

Based on how many acetaminophen overdoses I've seen in the ER over the years it's my opnion that he was correct and long ago I banned all over the counter forms of it from my house. I couldn't, however, avoid it in prescription drugs like the Vicodin I recently had to take for pain.

This years crop of stories on the subject are really beginning to concern me;

One expert questions the acceptability of the current level of acetaminophen-related injury and death, while another suggests that acetaminophen overdoses are misunderstood.

among about 200 others....

Salient points;
    The action comes after a recently published study found that toxic poisoning with acetaminophen -- rather than hepatitis -- is the leading cause of acute liver failure:

*Although acute liver failure is rare, acetaminophen accounts for almost 50 percent of cases, more than is caused by prescription drugs.

*(in contrast) Viral hepatitis was the cause of death in 12 percent of liver failure cases that resulted in hospitalization, according to a study in the Annals of Internal Medicine.

*More than 100,000 calls annually to poison control centers result from overdoses of acetaminophen.

*Acetaminophen overdoses result in about 450 deaths annually (as well as 56,000 emergency room visits), 2,600 hospitalizations and a number of liver transplants.

The monetary costs are significant. For example, assuming an average emergency room cost of $1,000, Acetaminophen overdoses cost $56 million dollars annually.
    IMO this is not good.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 December 2004, 23:07.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

eerrrppp. between that and naproxen i'm sure i'm going to die early. maybe the excessive use of benedryl will contribute too.
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

I think if you do enough studies, you will find that all medicine has it's own problems.

For instance, Ibuprofen and Naproxyn are known to cause heart problems after a while.
      Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

As is more than evident with the recent Vioxx problems. Which was somewhat scary given my wife was taking it right up until she became pregnant. She's had some blood pressure problems, but nothing critical or life-threatening.

Just reinforces that we should always take care when taking any sort of medicine, even at the recommended dosages.
        “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Damn. I've started days off with 2000mg of Ibuprofile and 600+mg of Naproxen before.

suddenly, I am pretty scared.
          "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

Because it is easy to buy in large packs (e.g., 500 tablets in many countries) acetominophen and its very close cousins phenacetin and paracetamol have been largely used for "attempted suicides". Unfortunately, these attempts, which are really only an appeal for help, often cause irreversible liver damage and result in a long, lingering and painful death. I agree that they are dangerous drugs. In some countries, they are labelled for 500 mg tablets to the effect that a) children must not be given them b) never take more than 3 x 2 tablets in one day, for 2 consecutive days max and c) do not take for longer than 10 days at a max dose of 3 x 1 tablet/day. If more is needed, consult a doctor, explaining what has already been taken.

I know someone who accidentally killed a medium dog, which had rheumaticy hind quarters, with half a paracetamol twice a day for a month or so. Dogs, and I think cats,as well, do not tolerate analgesics, except perhaps an occasional half-an-aspirin. In humans, they are metabolised differently than some other animals.
            Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Paracetamol really scares me. I take it relatively often (~once per month), not in higher doses though. But thinking that just taking 3x2 per day for a few days could kill me, painfully, and by the time I'd noticed it'd already be too late... not nice, especially as this is THE generic painkiller here, really really cheap and I think regarded by most as harmless.

AZ
              There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I don't believe 3 x 2 x 500 mg, indefinitely, will kill you, unless you already have some other problem, such as hepatitis or cirrhosis. However, if you have a cold and are taking it to increase your comfort, I think it may be wiser to abstain from alcohol. Similarly, do not take them for the after-effects of the morning after the night before, as your liver is already working full time.

It certainly is not harmless but it is not harmful if used in moderation and wisely.
                Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Well, day after is one of the main uses of it I believe

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
                      I know someone who accidentally killed a medium dog, which had rheumaticy hind quarters, with half a paracetamol twice a day for a month or so. Dogs, and I think cats,as well, do not tolerate analgesics, except perhaps an occasional half-an-aspirin. In humans, they are metabolised differently than some other animals.
                      If you give a cat almost any quantity of an opiate, it goes absolutely psyco killer.

Comment

Working...
                      X