Norton/Symantec AV Vs. XP page file

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norton/Symantec AV Vs. XP page file

Noticed the other day that my page file was running at 766 megs even though it was set to 1024. I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on, every time I set it to 1024 megs, even after deleting and having the system make a new 1024 meg one, when it'd reboot it'd go back to 766 megs.

Turns out if you've got a newer version of any Symantec anti-virus program and have auto-protection set to start at the system boots it'll do wierd things with the page file. The fix is to go into the programs settings and change the start-up config for auto-protect so that it doesn't get activated until after the system is up and running.

Symantec is evil. Except for Ghost. Ghost rules. The rest sucks now the Dr. Norton has nothing to do with it anymore.
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The whole damn sad story.........
      Lawrence

Comment

Same happent here with NAV 2005, had a fixed swap of 512MB and found myself with 1GB or more if auto-protect was loaded at boot.

Comment

LoL, it's nice to know I wasn't the only person who went through that exact same procedure, including setting a second page file on another drive. Looks like it's setting the page file to the "recommended" size, which with my systems 512 MB's of RAM is 766 megs. They probably had a gig of RAM, the automatic recommended size seems to use roughly the old 1.5 times system RAM techique.

Comment

No Norton product ever did more good than harm, as far as I'm concerned.

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Working...
            X