• New movie trailers....

For the Batman fans;

Batman Begins

Batman Begins website.....

For the horror crowd;

Constantine

Constantine website....

For those who watch movies on acid;

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Willie Wonka)

Charlie website....

And one that's getting a lot of Oscar & Golden Globe buzz;

Million Dollar Baby....

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 22 December 2004, 13:24.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Of course looking forward to Batman Begins. Constantine looks interesting, but worrisome of being yet another rehash. Not really sure about Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, though I tend to like most of Depp's movies where he gets to be a little quirky; something about having childhood memories trampled over by another well intentioned but lacking remake.
    “And, remember: there's no 'I' in 'irony'” ~ Merlin Mann

Comment

Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka?
      I dunno.
      Gene Wilder IS Willy Wonka, and always will be to me.

Oompah, Loompah, doopity doo...
      Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Re: New movie trailers....

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid

For the horror crowd;

Constantine

Constantine website....

Dr. Mordrid
        HellBlazer
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

If John Constantine isn't from London, incredibly cynical, and generally haunted by a bevy of dead friends then I'm reasonably sure his film is going to be a terrible rehash.

Keanu Reeves? Who thought that was a good idea?

Uberlad
          -------------------------
          8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
          5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Comment

Dunno....my idea of a "perfect" Constantine would have been a younger Sting or Billy Idol type. Worse yet it appears they've moved the location from London to LA

Dr. Mordrid
            Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 December 2004, 08:36.
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

...Worse yet it appears they've moved the location from London to LA

Dr. Mordrid
              That way Keanu Reeves doesn't have to do an accent.
              Chuck
              Chuck
              秋音的爸爸

Comment

Ok, maybe a move to LA is better than Keenoo doing a 'gorblimey Maree Porpins' cockney accent.

But the trailer makes it look like the usual Hollywood tosh - another comic optioned and ruined. Why do they even bother?

Uberlad
                -------------------------
                8 out of 10 women say they would feel no qualms about hitting a man.
                5 out of 10 referred to me by name.

Comment

Hey! I was about to post all these trailers Some good ones finally came out now that the holiday movies are here.
                  “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                  –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by uberlad
                    'gorblimey Maree Porpins'
                    Don't you mean 'gorblimey Maree Porpins dude'
                    Chuck
                    Chuck
                    秋音的爸爸

Comment

Dunno....my idea of a "perfect" Constantine would have been a younger Sting or Billy Idol type...
                      If memory serves me the original inspiration for Constantine, at least in appearance, was Sting. Not quite sure who a good choice would have been.

Comment

John Constantine's Excellent Adventure

Originally posted by Jesterzwild
                        If memory serves me the original inspiration for Constantine, at least in appearance, was Sting. Not quite sure who a good choice would have been.
                        You're right. Alan Moore claimed he based the character on Sting.

I would have loved to see either Tim Roth or Gary Oldman play John Constantine. Tim Roth would have been my first choice. Some people like the idea of David Thewlis in the role. I would have been happy with that as well. If they absolutely had to go with an American, maybe Keifer Sutherland. However, I really think casting an American in the role changes the character radically.

The producers seemed hell-bent on casting an American. Originally, Nicholas Cage had the role. I think he was a terrible choice as well, but not quite as terrible as Keanu Reeves. The producers shooting for a PG-13 rating sounds ominous as well. I read on a Hellblazer site that, despite the producers' efforts, the film got an R anyway, and some scenes were being reshot. One would hope they would embrace the R rating and go for something edgier. One would hope...

I think the best we can hope for is Constantine-Lite.

Paul

Comment

Re: John Constantine's Excellent Adventure

Originally posted by paulcs
                          I think the best we can hope for is Constantine-Lite.

Paul
                          Unfortunately I believe your analysis is spot-on.

Gary Oldman in an R rated version (better yet: NC-17) would have been a kick though, wouldn't it?

Dr. Mordrid
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Re: Re: John Constantine's Excellent Adventure

Unfortunately I believe your analysis is spot-on.

Gary Oldman in an R rated version (better yet: NC-17) would have been a kick though, wouldn't it?
                            I would have been thrilled to see Oldman, a London setting, a nice hard R rating, and a smaller production budget. Vertigo started out as a mature horror imprint, and I would have really liked an adult-oriented horror film with a middle-aged, hard drinking, blaspheming, trench coat wearing, English former punk as the hero. Hell, if they really wanted to get Constantine right, the swearing and vomiting alone would earn the film an R.

I was a huge fan of the Garth Ennis run of Hellblazer. It was my favorite comic of all time. I also realize that in order to make money, the film’s audience must move well beyond the old Vertigo fan base. Still, this was a particularly bizarre compromise. I suspect the only old Hellblazer fans not scratching their heads over casting an American as John Constantine and moving him to LA are Keanu Reeves and maybe Nicholas Cage.

Paul

Comment

This is the problem with doing movies based on books, comics, etc. The film may be rather good based on its own merits, but once judged on its roots it falters. Then again, I am having a hard time seeing this movie as anything but mediocre with another emotionless performance by Keanu.

Comment

Working...
                              X