NVIDIA Purevideo....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NVIDIA Purevideo....

The best streaming media device today with all the amazing features.

anyone tested it yet?
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

very curious. kinda wondering how well it competes with the G400MAX when it comes to TV output quality...
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

and it is not free
      Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
      ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

huh? how is it not free?
        "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

The DVD player is free for 30 days, then its $19.99 USD to keep using it. Other than that, everything else seems free.
          Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
          MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
          Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
          Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

I think you might be confusing it with nvida dvd which does cost money , the purevideo stuff which is free and consists of driver and codec.

Comment

Nvidia DVD is seperate product that Nvidia intended for OEMS to bundle with cards. it used to be that you couldn't even download it at all, let alone purchase it.

That being said, I have to wonder if it is the only DVD player on the market that takes advantage of these features - kinda like the way ATI's DVD player was the only one that took advantage of their decode assistance features for the looonnngggest time.

Comment

i think this only works on the 6600gt agp products as its busted on the 6800's
                DFI NFIIUltra 400
                756Ram ATI 9550 256mem
                Lite-On DVDR/RW/DL
                Windows XP pro
                msn messenger id: gchisel
                Be aware that a halo has to fall only a few inches to be a noose

Comment

I think there's a link to some interview about purevideo on aceshardware.com

AZ
                  There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

Originally posted by windigo
                    i think this only works on the 6600gt agp products as its busted on the 6800's
                    as almost all the articles about it have said, the *only* feature that doesn't work on the 6800Ultra/GT series is DX9 hardware decoding. this feature is fixed on the 6600 series and I believe it might be fixed on the 6800.

Comment

I really think Purevideo, at this stage, is just an overhyped pile of crap.

First of all, we have DVD assistance .... how many years has it been since DVD playing required any specific hardware assistance? At least 10 years I think.

Second, we have Hardware deinterlacing. It is admittedly a cool feature that has been difficult to do right in software (in real time). However, this alone isn't worth all the hype.

Finally, HD decode assistance. While it does seem to help, just like normal DVD assist, what is the point, The T2 trailer anandtech used to test this played perfectly easily on my computer (Athlon 64 3000+) at only about 50% cpu usage (while I was installing software in the background)

Maybe its just me, but these features are hardly exciting enough to warrent how much energy people have expressed.
                      80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Well, for one thing it screwed my DivX playback. Now all my DivX videos/movies show blue and red dots all over. Uninstalling the DVD decoder didn't fix it, uninstalling and reinstalling the DivX codec doesn't fix it either.
                        Darn piece of crap !

Comment

ahh, but when you look at the numbers it produced on the 6600 card with the hardware acceleration enabled. Considering the fact it *halved* the CPU utilization, it could be a very good thing for people in the HTPC market where people often go with low voltage/low clock speed processors so that the system is quiet.

also, look at the screen captures done by <a href="http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?articleid=615&cid=2">HotHardware</a>. The image quality produced is pretty nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral
                            Well, for one thing it screwed my DivX playback. Now all my DivX videos/movies show blue and red dots all over. Uninstalling the DVD decoder didn't fix it, uninstalling and reinstalling the DivX codec doesn't fix it either.
                            Darn piece of crap !
                            I have to ask this... why are you using the DivX codec? it is one buggy piece of shit and I am pretty sure there are other codecs out there that support it and work better...

Comment

The xvid plays most divx content ok, but often the divx decoder is a bit better at decoding.

Besides, Purevideo at this stage is only accellerating WMV content at the moment, which is exceedingly rare.
                              80% of people think I should be in a Mental Institute

Comment

Working...
                              X