Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will adding 8MB to a G200 make things quicker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will adding 8MB to a G200 make things quicker?

I picked up a few G200's for some Linux/BSD systems I'm building and put one in my current PC to test it out.
    I've noticed that with this card the responsivness of the UI has dropped quite a bit. I'm wondering if adding the extra 8MB would help things out any?

This is the SD version of the card, btw.

Just out of interest, the specs of the retro workstation will be:
    • Dual PPro 180MHz
    • PR440FX
    • 1GB EDO
    • 2x 9.1GB SCSI HDD's
    • Millennium G200

It's mainly a project that I'm building for fun and to learn Linux/*BSD on

Actually, adding the extra RAM will make the card <B>slower</B>. When you add the extra memory, the card downclocks itself.

You'd be better off turning off some eye candy. A lot of stuff is being thrown to the CPU, and dual 180's won't cut it.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Sorry, I should have written that a bit better. The card isn't actually in the PPro machine at the moment (it's caseless until after Christmas), it's in my Windows machine.

Either way, if it's going to make it slower I won't bother.

Thanks!

Edit: Actually, I think I'm reading your post wrong. I always turn off most of the XP 'prettiness' anyway. All that's on is ClearType.
      Last edited by Fast Ethernet; 18 December 2004, 18:23.

Comment

Working...
      X