Disconnected From The Server Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disconnected From The Server Problem

Each time I try to download files that are greater than about 1.5Bb, I get a message "Disconnected from the server" in GetRight. FlashGet will not even start.

This happend before but just a few days ago the problem disappared and since yesterday it appeared again.

My IP assured me that there is no restriction on file size from their side. Could there be a problem from my side ?
    Can I split the download in segments and download it segmented ?

Debbie
    We pass this way only once. Make the most of it !

1.5Bb isn't a recognizable number here. How many megabytes are you talking about?
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Bb is Biggiebytes, ya know? a 1 with a big collection o' 0s after it?
      Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

I thinks she means gigabyte.
        Because on my (german) keyboard the G and the B are next to each other.
        ASUS P5B-E ;2GB G.Skill DDR2 Ram; C2D6420;lub 3D X1950pro ;SoundBlaster X-Fi;WinXP

Comment

SORRY,SORRY. Forgive me for wrecking your brains. But I realy should have hit Gb, 1500 Mb.

Dilitante1. Thats is a nice moto to choose for yourself:
          "Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it"

BTW, the she is a he Debbie is the nickname from my SCUBA diving days. My surname is Deb(bie)ono.

Debbie

Sytem1:
          MOBO Asus P4633-E, CPU P4 2.5GHz, 512Mb DDR RAM, HDDs 2 Maxtor 80 Gb, V Card Asus Radeon 9600XT, S Card Audigy, Net Card Netgear, Pioneer A06, Pioneer reader, Pioneer reader, WinXP

Sytem2:
          MOBO Asus P4S8X-X, CPU P4 2.5GHz, 512Mb DDR RAM, HDDs 2 Maxtor 80 Gb, V Card Matrox Marvel G400-TV, S Card Audigy, Net Card Netgear, Pioneer A06, Pioneer reader, Asus CD Writer, WinXP

Sytem3:
          MOBO Shuttle, CPU PIII 500 MHz Slot1, 512Mb SD RAM, HDDs 2 Maxtor 80 Gb, V Card Hercules, S Card AWE64 ISA, Net Card Netgear, Pioneer A05, Pioneer reader, WinXP
          Last edited by Debbie; 18 December 2004, 12:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Debbie
            BTW, the she is a he Debbie is the nickname from my SCUBA diving days. My surname is Deb(bie)ono.

BIG mistake - this will get you a lot less help right there j/k

Unfortunately, I don't have anything useful to say. Sorry.

AZ
            There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

I have been under the impression that this is a Pro. forum like "Desktop Video"

Comment

It used to be. not so much anymore.

that being said... there are tools out there that allow you to archive a file (or files) then split the archive into smaller files. if you are able to do that, it would probably help. if you have sufficent access rights on the server hosting the file it is definately possible. most RAR archive clients allow you to do this.

i've never had good luck with large single file data transfers (>600mb) over the internet. most of the times I have done it I have used either a custom transfer agent or the person providing it was able to split the files up.
                "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Comment

"It used to be. not so much anymore"

I quite agree. I think it's stupid to allow a respected forum to degenerate this way.

I also consider it highly un ethical and amatureish (dilettantism) to spread details unrelated to the matter. Not that I care !

That said, Thanks very much for your advice

Debbie

Comment

And I think it's stupid to offend the people one is asking for help.

If you don't like the tone here, don't visit. I am sure I won't care, since you don't seem to have any value to add to this forum. Maybe in DV, but certainly not here. A big part of what keeps many of us here is the nice tone, now that Matrox doesn't offer us a lot of reason to keep this community up anymore.

AZ
                    There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

az,

If you read from the begining you will find out who is being stupid.

I only asked for help here because i taught that it was the best place to find it. What tone are you talking about?

Thank heaven for "stupid" people of my type otherwise you would'nt stand out

Comment

Wow.. people ease up!! ..

Debbie: is it from on specific server or just from all over, and since you are using getright if the server supports it, it should be able to resume pretty nicely.

James
                        Mater tua criceta fuit, et pater tuo redoluit bacarum sambucus.

Comment

Thaks for your help, James.
                          It is'nt a matter of resuming. As you said getright is very good at that.

It appears to happen on large files exeeding 1.5Gb. So far it appears to be from just one server but have'nt tried elsewhere. I am not deeply concerned about the issue since i hardly ever require files of that size. I just wanted to know if this happens normally.

Debbie

Comment

seeing you claim yourself a "pro", I suspect you played with your MTU settings, try setting them back to normal, and try the DL again, or a large DL off another site to see if it is site specific.....

as for my sig it pertains to more visitors than the regulars, and as for accusing others of being "ameteurish", your requests for info recently show us who is the real ameteur...

Google is your friend
                            Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Dilettante1, You get me wrong, I am no Pro. at internet problems and that's why I came here for help.

It is a fresh install of WinXP+SP1 and have'nt set antything. As regards the server, please read my previous reply.

My field is desktop editing and the little I know I am always prepared to share with others.

Seeing now that you are a pro at spying I would have taught that it would have been possible for you to solve the possible issue if there is one at all.

Thanks anyway.
                              Last edited by Debbie; 19 December 2004, 01:46.

Comment

Working...
                              X