Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've gone Dual Layer....

with an LG GSA-4160B 16x Super-Multi DVD/CD

It's actually the result of a Hitachi/LG joint venture.

Reading

DVD: 16x
    DVD-RAM: 5x
    CD: 40x

Writing

DVD-R: 8x
    DVD-RW: 4x
    DVD-RAM: 5x

DVD+R: 16x
    DVD+RW: 4x
    DVD+R DL: 2.4x

CD-R: 40x
    CD-RW: 24x

Buffer: 2 MB

Nero Express 6
    InCD4
    PowerDVD
    PowerProducer

$79 USD at SAMS Club (Walmarts warehouse outlet)

Even found some Verbatim DL media, but at $10 a disc it's a bit steep for now. Guess I'll have to up my prices to cover it when it's needed.

Dr. Mordrid
    Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 17 December 2004, 12:51.
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

wow, decent price considering being bundled with all that s/w.
    I just picked up a Sony dual layer for 129. cndn, but it came with no s/w.
    Yeah, well I'm gonna build my own lunar space lander! With blackjack aaaaannd Hookers! Actually, forget the space lander, and the blackjack. Ahhhh forget the whole thing!

Comment

In 6-12 months the DL media will drop like a stone. Single layer is down to about $.50 canadian each, so I expect DL to be down in the $1 range rather quickly.
      Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Snap doc, I just picked up the same drive a few weeks back (rebranded under a local name - LG doesn't have a great name here) in a fire wire enclosure. few tweaks and it works well on the ibook as well as the win boxes.

DL Media is starting to drop here, slowly but starting to
        Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

I've been using a Sony DRU-710A for a couple of months. This came bundled with Nero Express. The DL is nice to have available, and it burns a good video disk onto Verbatim +R DL, but out of the box it only burns at 2x. With a recent firmware upgrade off the Sony site, this is upped to 4x.

Jeff B

Comment

So far my tests show it to be a pretty quick burner, though I haven't put anything together that would challenge DL yet.

I have it in with the Panasonic DVD-R/RW/RAM drive for easier/faster copying. If that works out then I'll get another and put 'em in together with the Panasonic in another system.

At this price maybe this is the drive I'll base the 6 drive dedicated DVD burn box on.

Dr. Mordrid
            Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I have been using LG burners (1st cd then DVD) for a couple of years and have not had 1 fail.
              .....Doc , does all your software support the 4160?My partner has one in his Vegas machine and can't get Arcitect to work with it.

.....agallag where and what manufacture DVD's are you getting?
              thanks smitty

Comment

Interesting: am thinking in terms of the Pioneer.

Here, in Europe, I can get a spindle of 10 DLs for €29.95 (about $4 each)

I'd be interested to know how well your DLs play in set-top players.
                Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

"I'd be interested to know how well your DLs play in set-top players."

From what I've read DL is a requirement of existing players and compatibiltiy is good. a few weeks ago I had a DL burner in my hand ready to buy and then I saw that there was only ONE box of DL media and they were $11 EACH. My jaw dropped and I put it back on the shelf!!!

Comment

I'll wait untill the DL media gets under $3 to get a DL drive
                    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Sure wish you could do HDV with a DL burner....oh well....sooner or later.

Ted
                      Premiere PRO XP Pro
                      Asus P4s533
                      P4-2.8
                      Matrox G450
                      RT.x100
                      45 GIG System Drive
                      120 Export Drive
                      Promise Fastrak 100(4x80 Maxtor)
                      Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Toshiba Laptop
                      17" P4-3 HT
                      1024 RAM
                      32 MEG GForce
                      60 GIG 7200RPM HD
                      80 GIG EXT HD (USB 2/Firewire)
                      DVD RW/RAM

Comment

Doc,
                        Good choice on the burner.. a lot of ppl have got the 12x model to work under linux so this should be able to work under linux as well..

have been eyeing this drive ever since i saw a review of it on hardwarezone http://www.hardwarezone.com/articles...cid=29&id=1341

Off-topic : Are there any DVD-writers that are region free? My current region free ASUS DVD is getting old but has been a big help when my friends buy me any movies from places they visit./Off-topic
                        Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                        ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Well....

I've burned about every kind of DVD and CD format I can think of using every kind of blank in the house and can't get ANY coasters....AT ALL.

DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+R DL, SVCD, VCD, xSVCD, xVCD, MP3-CD etc. etc. etc. They ALL play, even in our old APEX 660 decks. Every single one of 'em. They all play in my Panasonic DVD-R/RAM burner too, which is the master to the LG's slave. The LG's DVD-RAM's are also compatable with the Panasonic and vice-versa.

Used DVD MovieFactory 3 and DVD Workshop 2. Nero 6 too using *.ISO's and VCD/SVCD/DVD folders. Not a lick of difference.

On top of that the burns are VERY fast.

Did I miss anything? Sure doesn't feel like it

Dr. Mordrid
                          Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 19 December 2004, 00:49.
                          Dr. Mordrid

Comment

I'll be getting the NEC-3500A. $65 at newegg, and seems to be the best of the 16x/dual crop.
                            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

For me DVD-RAM was a major consideration, not to mention the LG's embedded error correction system that lets you read discs other drives cannot.

Dr. Mordrid
                              Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Working...
                              X