Olympus C-4000, a worth of 180 Euros?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Olympus C-4000, a worth of 180 Euros?

okay, I have thought the situation again and I am now going to buy C-765. But before I'll do that, I give a chance Az possibility tell me, why I should buy Minolta Z2 instead of this Olympus.

so az, what's are the reasons why I should reconsider the camera?

I know that you prefer Minolta over others, so that's why you.

old message:
    due the fact that I don't think having afford new camera soon in the future, I am quite interested this model. Friend of mine is buying a physically smaller camera and offered to me this one. I checked the price of the new one and it's around 330-400 Euros, so I am about to offer around half of the new price.

good:
    - uses same media as my trusty old C990, so I can use some of the old cards as well.
    - has a much much more hand tuning options than my almost completely fully automatic C990. (though, as known here, I know quite well how to tease C990 to best results. )
    - has double resolution panel than mine has. (great thing for panoramas. after lens distortion correction, Still has quite more pixels left.)
    - has possibility to much much much longer apertures than C990

Bad:
    - does not improve optical zoom at all(has 3x just like mine.)
    - weight is about to same. (means heavy.)
    - no waranty left. (though Olympus have been pretty secure cameras after many years using.)

anyone used this one? any comments or something to note before buying one?
    Last edited by Nappe1; 19 December 2004, 11:01.
    "Dippadai"

first message editted.
    "Dippadai"

Comment

Hmm... actually, if I remember, the Z-series dimage cameras had a quite video camera-ish look to their pictures. Check the galleries at the review sites, and if you don't find anything wrong with the quality of the pictures, I don't see why you shouldn't be happy with a Z2 (if you had one in hand - how much would you be paying btw?)

AZ
      There's an Opera in my macbook.

Comment

well, the C-765UZ is in 320-420 Euros price range here, while Z2 seems to be in 299-399 price range. so basically we are talking about cameras that have pretty much same features and even pretty close on price.

some foundings:

- C-765 supports TIFF as uncompressed format (amongst with wide variety of JPEG compression qualities.) while Z2 supports only JPEG.

- C-765 uses xD cards, that might eventually go to point where Smart Media is now, but Z2 uses SD which seems not to have either very big install base. (so not much difference here.)

- both have same basic characteristics: 38-380 mm (in 35 mm) Zoom lens, 4 MPixels.

- in sensity levels, C-765 has from ISO 65 to ISO 400, while Z2 has 50 to 400. Then again, C-765 has Image Processing Processor doing noise reduction in long aperture shots.

- longest aperture in C-765 is 15 seconds, while Z2 allows 30 seconds. (but does it really matter? if you can't get target lighten up enough in 15 seconds, is it really worth of shooting with this equipment?)

- Z2 allows macro shots 12 cm from target, C-765 goes to 7 cm and has Super Macro mode, that allows whopping 2.5 cm distance, but zoom is locked in this mode.

hmmh... hard decision. both are excelent cameras no doubt...
        "Dippadai"

Comment

Compare test images! See how easy it is to set things manually with both cameras. If you can, have a look through their viewfinders (many people don't like the Z2's).

AZ

Comment

Originally posted by Nappe1
            - C-765 supports TIFF as uncompressed format (amongst with wide variety of JPEG compression qualities.) while Z2 supports only JPEG.
            TIFF files are usually very large, to the point that they become unusable. Just to give an idea: on my camera, a raw file is 12 MB, a jpg (highest setting) about 6 MB whereas a tiff file is 36 MB.

- C-765 uses xD cards, that might eventually go to point where Smart Media is now, but Z2 uses SD which seems not to have either very big install base. (so not much difference here.)
            Well, if it uses SD, IIRC, it will also support MMC (if I'm not mistaken, MMC cards are thinner than SD). And this type of card (usually RS-MMC) is often used in phones. So there is a bigger install base for MMC than one might think. (the adapters to go from RS-MMC to MMC are just a plastic extention, the pinout is the same)

- in sensity levels, C-765 has from ISO 65 to ISO 400, while Z2 has 50 to 400. Then again, C-765 has Image Processing Processor doing noise reduction in long aperture shots.
            Hmm, that noise reduction is interesting. But I find it odd the Z2 wouldn't have this...
            (you mean long shuttertime shots )

- longest aperture in C-765 is 15 seconds, while Z2 allows 30 seconds. (but does it really matter? if you can't get target lighten up enough in 15 seconds, is it really worth of shooting with this equipment?)
            If there is noise reduction, the images ought to be usable. Other than that, it depends on whether you are in to long exposures.
            (but don't forget: there are stacking tools, which allow you to add multiple photos together. Two 15 second exposures would then yield virtually the same as a 30s exposure (but there will be a gap: the time needed to perform noise reduction on the first image; so you'll miss continuity)
            stacking: http://voltaire.csun.edu/m31stk.html and http://voltaire.csun.edu/stack.html
            (it is possible in various programs, there even are specific tools)

(I'm sorry for making your choice even harder... )

Jörg
            pixar
            Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

well, thanks advices guys.
              This evening I originally planned to go only ask about things and see if there's models to test in local shops... and it happened: in the first shop I ran into rep of Olympus Finland. and well, my last words before making the deal: "do you accept visa?"

so yes, I am now (at least so far, very happy) owner of C-765, 256MB xD card and second battery. exactly 500 Euros the whole bunch, which ain't bad because the card is now Olympus brand and so has the panorama setting. (like I really would have been needing it with my C990... but just in case.)

I just took a first picture and to make compare I took same target with my old one as well. (Bitboys chip coming up! ) I would have posted with this post, but unfortunately, my own site is down right now. (or I just can't connect to it for uploading.) So, I'll upload them when possible.

EDIT: ah... now the server is back online:
              http://rp-design.totalnfs.net/omat/digitest/c990.jpg (Auto, Macro, Slow Shutter, SHQ. ~680 KB jpeg)
              http://rp-design.totalnfs.net/omat/digitest/c765.jpg (Auto, SuperMacro, SHQ. 2.3MB jpeg.)
              Last edited by Nappe1; 20 December 2004, 18:06.
              "Dippadai"

Comment

Still waiting for hopefully many more beautiful pictures of the finnish winter from you

AZ

Comment

Az: most likely you will get more my panoramas and scenery shoots.

Previous message updated...
                  "Dippadai"

Comment

Working...
                  X