wanted: 2x AMD MPs / modded XPs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wanted: 2x AMD MPs / modded XPs

I've dug out my old A&M266-D and am looking for a couple of processors to throw in. As the MP chips are getting hard to find (and carry a hefty premium) I was wondering if anyone wanted to part with a couple?

Since no-one actually visits the happy shopper, i thought i'd post here (feel free to move it mods!)

The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

If the board will support it, you might run faster with one fast modern CPU.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

hmm... I was wondering about using a couple of semperon chips as they are cheap - i don't think the cache will make that much difference... Other alternatives would be the XP-mobile as they are unlocked...

There has been no mention of the board over at 2cpu for two years...

For the price of a new mobo, ram, and a decent CPU, I could buy two MP chips. Unfortunatley as they are hard to come by, and aimed at the pro market they have retained their value...

Two 2600+'s would set me back £150ish... although as I havn't used the mobo in years i don't know if it is working.... I am tempted to buy overseas as there is a significant saving (upto £85) although that buggers up the returns policy if the mobo is dead.

A new MPX mobo costs ~£160 for a Tyan Tiger...
      The Welsh support two teams when it comes to rugby. Wales of course, and anyone else playing England

Comment

I'm torn... I'm after a box that will work as a mail/ftp/web server.
        Reliability is paramount! The most intensive thing it will be doing is streaming video so perhaps the dualies are overkill...

If I go for the MPs then I'll have to commit to a budget of £300, although hopfully just £150.

For that sort of money, I'm sure I can build something much more modern...

What sort of specs would you go for?

Comment

Go buy an (as in one) Barton mobile. If it runs, great! If not, buy a MB to go with it.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I wonder if the mobiles can be run in dual mode...

Comment

Does the joining the MP bridge thingy work on semprons?

You could get a cheapy sempron and give it a shot..

Comment

Mobiles work without modding - they're MP enabled.

You just need to set multipliers and voltage wia pins (www.ocinside.de)

Comment

according to 2cpu the semperons aren't successful.
                  I'll check out the prices of the mobile chips...

Comment

My AMD dualie is running a couple of modded 1.6Ghz Duron's, you should be able to pick some up pretty cheap
                    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

I'd go with mobile bartons... It requires that you do the multiplier mod on the back of your board, but they work without a hitch, and require less power than any other AMD proc, thus resulting in lower temps and also not straining your PSU.

My 2 mobile2500+s both run at default voltage of 1.5V at 2240Mhz, and their temps never go above 45-46°C. Now in winter they are even cooler running 39-40°C on full load.

Comment

nice... is that on the gigabyte?

Comment

Yep... On Gigabyte, but I also had them working on the ASUS board before that. Swapped it for Gigabyte beacuse of working USB and integrated Intel 100Mbps NIC.
                          With dual Bartons, it's a very, very fast machine, despite low FSB.

Comment

hmm... the barton 2500 mobiles are also pretty hard to find... I've found one place here, but it will cost £150 for two!!!

Comment

try here:

67 each including VAT,
                              or here:
                              64 including VAT

of course shipping and heatsink to come on top of that.
                              overclockers.co.uk also sell them but they are a rubbish stepping apparently.

I bought a xpm2600 from overclock.co.uk, was IQ stepping and is good for 2.7 gig with 1.9V, and 2.3 gig with just 1.5 volts.

hope the links help
                              is a flower best picked in it's prime or greater withered away by time?
                              Talk about a dream, try to make it real.

Comment

Working...
                              X