Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mars rover finds manufactured object....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mars rover finds manufactured object....

it's own heat shield jettisoned during re-entry.

Had you goin' for a second, 'eh?
    Mars Rover Eyes Foreign Object

Fresh from some six months of driving inside Endurance Crater, the Opportunity Mars rover now has a piece of foreign space hardware in its sights.

After successfully climbing out of the stadium-sized crater, engineers are now steering the robot toward a part of the spacecraft’s entry hardware. The discarded gear tumbled to the surface of Mars, part of the landing equipment that protected the rover from its heated plunge through Mars’ atmosphere in January.

Opportunity Mars rover is wheeling toward a discarded section of its entry, descent, and landing system.

Image link....

The rover’s trek to the nearby heat shield is on its driving trajectory this week, confirmed Guy Webster, a spokesman for the Mars rover project at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) in Pasadena, California.

A goal of Mars scientists is to inspect the deepest, freshly dug hole known on the red planet. Meanwhile, spacecraft engineers are itching to assess just how well the heat shield withstood its fiery fall through the Martian atmosphere. Photos sent back could be helpful in designing or testing future heat shield designs.

Wheeling itself across Meridiani Planum, Opportunity remains in excellent health with its solar power meter nearly as high now as it was at the start of its Mars mission.
    Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Re: Mars rover finds manufactured object....

Originally posted by Dr Mordrid
    Had you goin' for a second, 'eh?
    yes you did

But then again its just in good fun...
    Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
    MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
    Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
    Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Dammit, had me going too!
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Me thought they found evidence the Russians had secretly been there before or something.

Comment

Thought it found the remains of beagle for a second.
          Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Link to big 355 kB jpg. Oh, and it's not true color.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram

Link to big 355 kB jpg. Oh, and it's not true color.
              was just wondering about the blue sky...

mfg
              wulfman
              "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
              "Lobsters?"
              "Really? I didn't know they did that."
              "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Yeah, the picture's a composite of 6 images in UV, green, and IR. The right half was a seperate sequence and since the raw pictures aren't calibrated with an absolute scale, the individual channels and the two different sequences have no real direct correllation in brightness (I had to fiddle with the gamma of the right half to make it look somewhat close to the left.)

A nice site that has MER images including proper calibrated ones from the first 90 days (of which the entire data set as been released) is http://www.lyle.org/~markoff/
                Last edited by Jon P. Inghram; 22 December 2004, 17:29.

Comment

I guessed the manufactured object was an alien version of a rubber woman - anatomically correct.

Comment

I'm waiting for an interstellar police ship to land at Cape Kennedy.

Mission: deliver a summons for littering

Dr. Mordrid
                    Dr. Mordrid

Comment

The rovers have been going for nearly a year now right? Not too bad for a projected lifespan of 3 months of I remember correctly.
                      Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

Comment

Yup...3 months it was, but even this isn't a longevity record.

Look how long the Voyagers have been sending data. The're now programmed to study the heliopause; the boundary between the solar system and interstellar space.

Talk about getting your moneys worth....

Dr. Mordrid
                        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 23 December 2004, 14:06.
                        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

That was the good old days - the days of over-engineering, instead of cost management.

Comment

Working...
                          X