Grr Microshaft updates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grr Microshaft updates

I wonder how many have lost work today when the machines autodated and then rebooted the machine.

Not the way to do it microshaft.

Sadly we have set machines at work too autoupdate as 99% of users never will even if it flashes at them from the taskbar.

SP2 was a nice time to change the behavour. Giving options too update at login or download the updates and just leave a nice big message on screen rather than a timeout if theres no response, I.E the operator is on the bog at the time.

Ideally you shouldn't have to reboot at all but thats just poor design.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

It'll teach them to backup regularly

Comment

On one machine, I couldn't log on after performing the last 4 updates.
      I got the logon prompt, entered login and password, and it said something like : "the computer issued a command, but the commandlength was too long". And logon failed, on every account.

Booting the system back to the previous configuration seems to have done the job.

But what caused it? We have serious problems with our network (the team that should solve it keeps on delaying their arrival); could this be the problem? (i.e. an update file going corrupt? )

Jörg
      pixar
      Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die tomorrow. (James Dean)

Comment

VJ, you aren't the first experiencing that problem http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php...743#post507743
        Main: Dual Xeon LV2.4Ghz@3.1Ghz | 3X21" | NVidia 6800 | 2Gb DDR | SCSI
        Second: Dual PIII 1GHz | 21" Monitor | G200MMS + Quadro 2 Pro | 512MB ECC SDRAM | SCSI
        Third: Apple G4 450Mhz | 21" Monitor | Radeon 8500 | 1,5Gb SDRAM | SCSI

Comment

There is also:

A non-security cumulative update for Outlook Express

A Windows XP Firewall Update KB886185. You can alternatively download the file off a link on www.filemirrors.com . Just search for "WindowsXP Firewall Update - KB886185-x86-enu.exe"

For some reason when I tried to download the firewall update off the Microshaft webpage, it was asking me for my installation code. They're not supposed to ask for this according to their own rules as I understood it.
          Last edited by High_Jumbllama; 16 December 2004, 22:37.

Comment

It must have detected that you're using a pirate copy.
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
              It must have detected that you're using a pirate copy.
              It came with my Dell. I thought if it wasn't activated that it would tell me. Maybe it isn't?

Comment

Dell OEM versions of XP don't require activation!

Comment

Anyone know why the website does want it?

Comment

Working...
                  X