hardware / software setup to start video editing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hardware / software setup to start video editing

I have tried several video editing programs without success. Interested in buying Matrox card - but have had such bad luck that looking for some advice. At present have VooDoo3500 3dfx video card, 20 gig hard drive and AMK-6 2 350 cpu. During capture drop almost 40% of the frames. Can some one give me setup details that work for home video editing. Hardware/software combos that actually work. Thanks for any help.

Hello,

If you can answer a few questions, that could help with any advice.

What do you want to do with video? Are you interested in VCDs, SVCDs, simple home movies, or the whole package?

Do you want to keep your current system or start from scratch?

What is going to be the video source (MiniDV, Hi8, 8, VHS, etc.)?

Would you want to do a lot of video tricks/FX?

How much are you willing to spend?

Comment

AdrewDV thanks for helping. At present source is VHS. Home movies working on and some High School events from VHS also. I am about to do upgrading on my computer so any details of what to do would sure be great. Will have Intel 550 Pentium III soon, at present have Voodoo3500 Card, but ready to buy Matrox 400 or better if that will work. Would like to be able to download back to VHS and CD. My 20 gig drive is a Ultra 66 DMA drive. I can up my ram if that would help too, I have 64 RAM presently. I have been trying software but nothing stops dropped frames. I am considering new CamcorderDV soon also. Sure could use some experiencial advice. Thanks a bunch.

Comment

In addition to new CPU I am trying to come in at around $450 more. Can it be done?

Comment

Evening all,

Whatever source you are thinking of, you should really look at a second HD and probably up your RAM to 128 (that's what I've used for years, I know some folks will tell you that 256 is essential but.....)

There aren't many cards that can handle both analog AND digital, and none of them are cheap (Pinnacle DV500, Matrox RT2000, Canopus Storm), so it's fairly important to define what you want to do at an early stage. For analog capture, I'd be looking at either a G400 Marvel (all-in-one, don't know how the graphics compare against your voodoo), or if you want to keep your Voodoo then look at Pinnacle DC10+ (DC30 would be better, but isn't cheap). All of those cards have their lovers and haters (if ya know what I mean) but are good solutions unless you're the unlucky one. For DV there are dozens of firewire devices around with better or worse features and support. The one that I tend to recommend (because I've got one, it works, and there are plenty of other owners to ask) is the ADS Pyro. It comes in a variety of "flavours", so if you've already got some editing software you don't need to spend out all over again, if you haven't then they have a variety of packages to suit your pocket/requirements.

I've tested a fair few cards since the site started, and still have quite a few of them lurking around (my favourite was the Mystique220/RR-S combination !), but my main test machine always seems to end up with a G400Marvel (for display and analog capture) with the Pyro alongside for DV.

Now if I could find someone to donate a suitable dual-head graphics card then I could drop in the DC30+ for analog capture....

Cheers, Chris
          (This_Idiot)

Comment

Good advice!

Not to confuse you, but another 'analog' option is the Hauppage WinTV series. It is an 'ok' setup. The biggest disadvantage of this card is that you do not get a MJPEG processor.

My recent (and past) experience with it is that it is not bad for VHS quality. Others have had better results, but I still have not been greatly impressed with it (when compared to the Marvel G400).

I do have to say the Hauppage solution is inexpensive, works with Huffyuv, and captures under Win2K. If you get the Win-TV Radio or higher, it captures s-video as well as composite.

Comment

Thanks Andrew, I forgot to throw OS into the melting pot (as if there weren't enough factors already).

To put it simply, either Win 95 OSR2 OR Win 98 SE are the OS of choice as far as vidcap is concerned. Now I can feel a large buzz coming on as all the regulars are sharpening their quills to respond. The truth is that although Win2K support is available for a few devices (inc the Happuage), and is "just round the corner" for others (inc Matrox), it isn't YET openly supported or bug-free by the vast majority of vidcap manu's. If you are already limited to using Win2K, then you need to be reading the small print VERY carefully when you are buying a vidcap card.

BTW, harking back to your original post, with a 450Mhz chip you shouldn't have any problems with any hardware accelerated MJPEG (analog) capture cards (Matrox, Pinnacle). Anything with soft codec is going to reduce your frame size/rate substantially. This MAY not be a problem, depending on what you intend to do with the product of your attentions. For making small-frame movies, web-movies, even low-res CDs, you don't have a problem. Trying to encode more than 1/4 frame in software on a 450 is like trying to compete at LeMans in a 3-wheeler.

Comment

AndrewDV - I do have two HDs one is 6 gigs the other 20 gigs. Sounds like you have good results with the Marvel G400 for analog capture...is that correct? I will have 128 RAM and 550 Pentium III, I am encouraged and ready to give the G400 a try. I was impressed with the capacity to adjust the TV resolution out independent from monitor also. I think I am ready for another try. I let you know how it goes. Thanks Again for you help.

Comment

Working...
                X