MSN Desktop Search & Toolbar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSN Desktop Search & Toolbar

The MSN Toolbar Suite combines several great programs that speed up your search tasks and help you surf the Web.

I really recommend giving this baby a try, once you allow it to index your harddisk it's a very useful and extremely fast tool...for example, it's much easier to just input the name of the mp3 i want to listen to in the IE toolbar search (and add it to the playlist from there) then go thru the folders containing my thousands of songs. If you've tried Google Desktop Search, you'll know what I'm talking about...this one is better, imho.
    All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Couldn't you just turn on Indexing services on 2K/XP and pretty much do the same thing?

Edit:

Guess I'm not the only one thinking this...

Last edited by mmp121; 14 December 2004, 12:52.
    Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
    MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
    Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
    Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

I find the Windows indexing feature quite resource hungry...this one is easier to use.

Comment

I guess you didn't read the article. This thing IS the indexing feature.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I did read it and I know what this is, my point is that it's MUCH more user-friendly to use this in searches than to use Windows' search feature, which requires actual commands to enable in-document searching & stuff.

Comment

I agree that the Indexing Feature is a resource hog. My point was that all MS is doing is putting a pretty face on an already installed feature.
            Go Bunny GO!

Titan:
            MSI NEO2-FISR | Intel P4-3.0C | 1024MB Corsair TWINX1024 3200LLPT RAM | ATI AIW 9700 Pro | Dell P780 @ 1024x768x32 | Turtle Beach Santa Cruz | Sony DRU-500A DVD-R/-RW/+R/+RW | WDC 100GB [C:] | WDC 100GB [D:] | Logitech MX-700

Mini:
            Shuttle SB51G XPC | Intel P4 2.4Ghz | Matrox G400MAX | 512 MB Crucial DDR333 RAM | CD-RW/DVD-ROM | Seagate 80GB [C:] | Logitech Cordless Elite Duo

Server:
            Abit BE6-II | Intel PIII 450Mhz | Matrox Millennium II PCI | 256 MB Crucial PC133 RAM | WDC 6GB [C:] | WDC 200GB [E:] | WDC 160GB [F:] | WDC 250GB [G:]

Comment

Um, isn't that what they've been doing all along? Seriously, you could hardly give credit to MS for real innovation, but they're the ones that have made the PC experience truly usable...

Comment

Isn't the indexing feature one of the biggest security holes in WIndows? At least it used to be.
                “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

How is it a security hole ?
                  Go Bunny GO!

Titan:

Mini:

Server:

Comment

Because indexing service has access to everything on your hard drive and has an ActiveX/MMC plugin, which means it can be accessed through IE via Active X ... or something like that. There were some big worms last year that exploited the index service holes.
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

The patch for the most recent index service vulnerability was released June 18, 2001. There was also one in May 2001, and three in 2000. There hasn't been a new vulnerability discovered in the index service in 3.5 years. I think that's pretty good.

Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive, bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine. -- Dr. Perry Cox

Comment

Working...
                      X