Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New MSPro patch - half expected mpeg size - revisited - long!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New MSPro patch - half expected mpeg size - revisited - long!

Hi Doc.... everyone,

I’ve done a few (best part of eight hours!) tests to try and get to the bottom of this problem. Here’s what I’ve found…

My test file is PAL DV shortened to one minute in MSPro.
    (mpeg settings - PAL DVD - lower field first - v6500, Quality 100, DD @ 192)

PART ONE

I did a clean install of Win2000sp4 and added DX8.1 (yes, I know should be DX9, but it's a long story) - loaded on MSPro 7.0 plus the latest update (msp7sp2.1_e) and compiled my test file.

Result was an mpeg of 46MB - as expected.

Then I installed Cool Edit Pro 1.2a - my favourite music-editing program - this comprised the original CEP1.0 CD plus the 1.2a update.

Part of the original install is Active Movie.

After installing CEP1.2a, I opened up Veditor and got the setup.exe failed. Amended the msp.ini file with the DisableDXaudio fix from the Ulead website and
    reran the mpeg test from the saved dvp... came out at 21MB!

I delved into the Cool Edit disc and found the activemovie setup. Extracted the contents, and buried in there was an Active Movie uninstaller... you're way ahead of me...

Fired up MSPro7.2 - some DX files were missing - so I reinstalled DX8.1.

Reinstalled MSPro7.2 to the new patch... ran the test... file size was 46MB as expected.

Reinstalled Cool Edit 1.2a (incl. Active Movie), rebooted and reran the test from the same dvp.... 21MB.

To summarise:

MSPro7.2 - only program on clean install Win 2000 SP4/DX8.1 - PAL DVD mpeg file size as expected.

After installing Cool Edit Pro (which by default installs Active Movie), Veditor fails to open unless msp.ini is amended with "DisableDXaudio=1"
    Resulting mpeg file is half expected size.

Uninstall Active Movie using Active Movie uninstaller from amovie.exe found on Cool Edit CD, rebooting and reinstalling DX8.1 - rebooted - rerun mpeg test
    and file size is as expected.

At this point, I think I’ve cracked it, but….

Then having reinstalled the clean Win2000SP4 image, I installed Adobe Audition 1.5 tryout (this is the updated Cool Edit Pro 2.1) and MSPro 7.2 (ver. 1006)

Ran my test dvp and got a file size of half the expected size.

Uninstalled MSPro 7.2 (ver 1006), reinstalled DX8.1 and MSPro 7.2 (ver. 1006) – got half expected file size.

Now here’s the weird thing – and I tried it a couple of times…

Uninstalled MSPro7.2, reinstalled DX 8.1 and then reinstalled MSPro 7.2 (ver 1005)
    Ran the test dvp and file size was expected!!!

Again, I think I’ve cracked it, so I load on all my programs… leaving MSPro7.2 until last… ran the test… half expected size!

PART TWO

Dual boot install of WinXPSP2… apart from drivers for sound card, raid, IDE drivers etc, no programs are installed (apart from those that are part of WinXP!)

Loaded MSPro 7.2 (ver 1006), ran test dvp… half expected file size.

Strange result as MSPro is the only program loaded on the Win XP partition!?

PART THREE

Tonight, I’ve done some tests on my Win2000 partition…

Created a new dvp test.

Open MSPro… select PAL DVD… insert PAL DV file and crop to one minute.
    Usual PAL defaults… Variable 6500… Dolby Digital 192…Quality 100

Ran several tests…here are the results… I did select different audio parameters to se if that might be the problem!

With non square pixels checked – no smart render
    Test file (dd audio @ 192) - 23.8MB
    Test file (mpg audio @ 192) – 23.8MB
    Test file (lpcm audio) – 33.6MB

With non square pixels unchecked
    Test file (dd audio @ 192) – 23.8MB
    Test file (lpcm audio) – 56.1MB

With non square pixels and smart render ticked
    Test file (dd audio @ 192) – 46.3MB
    Test file (lpcm audio) – 42.0MB

So 2 out of the nine gave file sizes as expected.

After each test I amended the audio in the already open MSPro7.2. It was not closed and reopened at any time.

PART FOUR

Using WinXP SP2

Re compiled my test dvp...

Ran the test with the same conditions as earlier.

To cut a long story short, eight out of nine mpeg files were of the expected size. The one that wasn't, was the very first file I encoded... this file had DD sound.

I've just redone the dvp and converted to mpeg (v 6500, DD 192, 2 pass). The file size came out at 23.8MB - half expected size.

I then recompiled the dvp on two more occasions (with DD sound) and they both came out at 23.8MB - half the expected size!

One final test meant that I once again created my dvp file, but this time I ran the test mpeg with mpeg sound... result.... half expected file size.

I'm very tired now, but from the test I've done I can see no patterns and get the impression that the generation of a mpeg file at half the expected size appears to be random.

Maybe tomorrow, I'll just install WinXP with no service packs,,, but then again.....

Doc, if you've got this far would it be possible to pass this on to your Ulead contacts. I've got William Shur's e mail from a few years ago, but don't know whether he's still at Ulead.

I've contacted Ulead support, but their first response was about Video Studio and they referred me to www.videohelp.com. The follow up e-mail asked me to reinstall MSPro!!!

Thanks for reading!!!!

Best wishes,

Nick.
    Last edited by Nick Piercey; 13 December 2004, 17:38.

One problem with your methodology: MSPro7 requires DirectX 9.

Otherwise it's interesting, but inconclusive because of the Dx version issue.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Hi Doc,

Thanks for the reply.

Please note that DX9 is an integral part of WinXP SP2, so the tests from "Part Four" where I was still getting some results with half file sizes did use DirectX9.0c!

Any thoughts?

Best wishes,

Nick.
      Last edited by Nick Piercey; 14 December 2004, 03:44.

Comment

Hi Doc - again...

I've just added DX9 to my Win 2000SP4 setup.

Just to clarify, here's what I did.

Uninstalled MSPro7.2 (1006)
        rebooted
        Added DX9
        rebooted
        Added MsPro 7.0 plus new patch
        rebooted

Veditor failed, so amended msp.ini with disabledxaudio=1

Rebooted

Recompiled test dvp (1 min PAL DV file)...
        PAL DVD
        Lower field first
        non square pixels
        smart render
        variable 6500
        Quality 100
        2 pass
        dd audio @ 192

Resultant mpeg file was 24.5MB – half what MSPro was telling me during encoding.

Recompiled a one minute test dvp using a different PAL DV file – same settings as above… mpeg file came out at 22.5MB.

So the problem appears with Win 2000SP4/DX9 and from the earlier tests also occurs with WinXPSP2/DX9.

Kind regards,

Nick.

Comment

Thought I'd bump this up to the top with some new findings.

I've redone my XP partition and loaded XP (version 2002) - this is the very first release (no service packs) - and although I've only done two big projects and a handful of tests, not one has exibited the fault.

To summarise:

2 pass encoding with MSPro7.2 yields half expected file size on...

Win 2000(SP4)/DX8.1 - most of the time
          Win 2000/DX9.0c - most of the time
          Win XP (SP2)/DX9.0c - some of the time
          Win XP (no SP's)/DX9.0c - not as yet!

Any comments?

Best wishes,

Nick.

Comment

Working...
          X